Triumph Car Adverts

SixasStandard

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is an archive anywhere of Triumph car adverts? by which I mean the sort of advertising produced in newspapers and magazines? 

For some reason I find this stuff fascinating, primarily because in many cases they are just so awful!!

The example below was sent to me recently by a good friend, and had me scratching my head a bit. The message seems to me to be a bit confused. The basic premise of the advert is the sporty performance of the Vitesse in comparison to other competitors more readily identified as 'sports cars'...….and yet the image is of someone who looks remarkably like Ronnie Corbett wearing a bowler hat, and presumably meant to be a Doctor (it is Harley Street after all). I don't imagine that this demographic was ever one to feature particularly highly in the sales of Vitesses, so what is it trying to say?? I suppose it could be alluding to the idea that 'looks can be deceptive'?...…...i.e. bowler hatted Gastroenterologist by day......speed loving road racer prowling the streets in search of unsuspecting MGs and Sunbeams in his spare time...………. who knows??  

Ian  

advert - Copy.jpg

43 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

The message seems to me to be a bit confused. The basic premise of the advert is the sporty performance of the Vitesse in comparison to other competitors more readily identified as 'sports cars'...….and yet the image is of someone who looks remarkably like Ronnie Corbett wearing a bowler hat, and presumably meant to be a Doctor (it is Harley Street after all). I don't imagine that this demographic was ever one to feature particularly highly in the sales of Vitesses, so what is it trying to say??

Who cares, he has obviously got a discerning taste having a Vitesse !!

Thanks Clive/Dave,

There's certainly a lot of material out there!  I've not seen the Ad featuring the Lotus before, and what a complete contrast to the Harley Street Ronnie Corbett offering. This one has excellent visual appeal and composition with a completely unambiguous message...…….even the Marshal is a masterclass!!…….note the military bearing, carefully trimmed moustache, pipe and well polished Barkers...…...takes you back to when the streets were full of such men, rather than the dishevelled 'refugee camp' look that seems to prevail nowadays.

Ian 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Colin,

The one with the Police Officers is a bit 'out there'...……..you'd expect the car itself to be the main focus of the advert, with the Police perhaps as admiring onlookers in the background. I'm obviously missing something...…….or perhaps it has something to do with the psychedelic drugs that were doing the rounds in the advertising agencies back then!!

Ian