Head Thickness

Iain T

the only points ive got are on my railway  ha ! and that needs some work like a classic hobbies go in fits and starts , in no particular order

theres a lot of information that are all scurried away in all sorts of websites and downloads , trying to remember where you last saw it is the problem 

Pete

Yes I'm at the point of writing notes to remember the ever increasing lists of things to do.

Obviously the reason for asking the standard thickness is to try and ascertain if my head has been skimmed at some point in it's history (perhaps that's why I look like Frankenstein). Are there other telltale signs of skimmed heads? If it had hemispherical combustion chambers I could measure the diameter...but it doesn't.

Iain

Iain,

If the head has been skimmed, work was probably done on the chambers.    The first increases CR, the second reduces it.   Height alone is complete guesswork.   To KNOW what you have, and to calculate what you need to do, you must 'burette' the chambers.

May I humbly suggest you read my article?   It's on Sideways, at: http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7551-how-to-raise-the-compression-ratio-safely-and-effectively/&tab=comments#comment-99739

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Sorry for tardy reply, thanks for the head skim spreadsheet. I put in the relevant data for a Mk2 and it seems to work and correlate with the Triumph Tuning Guide written in the days of old. I'm aiming for 10.0/10.5 : 1 comp ratio and my head seems to be nearly a stock 2.290" thick. Until CTM Performance have sorted out the up and down valve heights I will not be able to check the correct capacity of the chambers. I will then update the spreadsheet to give the skim depth. 

With the head off I can see the bores are in very good condition with the honing marks still visible. I will be taking the block out as phase 2 but I am hopeful I will get away with just a cam replacement, seals etc and balancing all the whirly bits. Plus strip and check the oil pump. I'll also be replacing the front sealing block with the TRGB steel version (threads are stripped on my ali block) as it constantly weeps oil.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1