Herald 1200 Solex carb fuel inlet union

Classicscrap

Hi, can anybody tell me the part number for the fuel inlet union to fit a Solex B30pse1 carb on a late Herald 1200? The usual parts diagrams don’t appear to show it, but it is in position 74 in the attached diagram from the workshop manual. I thought it looked the same as the fuel pump connections, but tried one and it is too tight. Thanks in advance, Brian

580A7446-28CB-439E-96F0-7A5406D99FE3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Classicscrap said:

The usual parts diagrams don’t appear to show it, but it is in position 74 in the attached diagram from the workshop manual.

Position 72 :)

Half inch, and I was going to guess UNF until I saw Pete's post above - we posted simultaneously - what's 20 TPI in imperial? Isn't that the same as UNF?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Can I jump on this post to ask about the needle float? I just want to be sure that the 1965 solex bte sgdg carb on my 1967 1200 Herald is the same as the B30 PSE1? The photo looks the same whereas in my owners repair manaul it has the B30 ZIC-5 which doesn't look correct - confused I am? My engine number is GA223134E. What looks like the right needle float comes up for for the B30 PSE1 but mine is a later engine number. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Nick

Hi Colin,

Yeah, the first owner had it over 30yrs and it was then recommissioned and sold to the chap I bought it off.

It is the same as in the picture posted by Brian above. Mine has 1965 stamped on the top and BTE SGDG on the back of the float bowl. I dont' seem to be able to find the exact needle valve for that model hence me wondering if the ref numbers are interchangeable. 

Many thanks for all this.

I know from looking at various photos that the one that was in there was the earlier type with a shorter/wider thread. Although there are the same length for float regulation are there different size threads?  Maybe I will just order both and return the wrong one!

• 3 years later...

Late to the party, but this thread (ha!) came up while I was looking for parts for my Solex. The thread for part 72 on my B30 PSE1 is 7/16" UNF - it's noticeably smaller than the 1/2" UNF fuel pump tube nuts, and the latter don't fit the former. Canley say the nut is unobtainable. I'm investigating a solution.

Edit: It's not 7/16" UNF at all. The thread profile is wrong and the 7/16" UNF nut that's just arrived doesn't fit. Left to right in the picture: original; 1/2" UNF from the fuel pump; new 7/16" UNF. Looking more closely, it's a very good fit for M12 fine. This is 1.25mm pitch, which is 20.3tpi - an easy confusion to make when expecting 1/2" or 7/16" UNF which are both 20tpi. This would also tally with the metric top cover screws at the bizarre M5x0.75 thread...

Automec have a possibility which I will try next.

Edit again: Flexolite show a banjo fitting with M12x1.25 described as 'Solex Carburettor Thread' so I think I'm on the right track.

IMG_20240323_165833.jpgimage.thumb.png.7e96a42008b491a98bb05187ffeaf326.png

Edited by Morgana