Moving bonnet hinges

NickTruman

Hi

On my mid-engined Spitfire as i have no engine up front I do need to open the bonnet as it does, so i want to lose the over-riders and fabricate a new front that will channel air through the radiator and up through the bonnet like my old ferrari dino does.

This means I have to move the front hinges, has anyone done this? I saw an article about fitting mk2 bumber to a mkiv, but some elements of the hinges stayed in front of the fropnt cross member..

fingers crossed :)

Regards

Nick 

IMG_2332.jpg

The Bond series of cars don't have front overriders at all, but their bonnets are front-opening, so they must have some kind of hidden hinge system. Might be worth seeing how they look under the bonnet, in case there's any kind of setup that can be adapted for yours?

There was also a very well-known GT6 a few years back that was modified at the front to lose the overriders completely; I can't find photos of it but am sure I've some somewhere about. I think it was a MK2? I did manage to find this racing Spitfire from Stafford 1997 that had no front overriders, if anyone knows more about it.

spit.jpg.c2d3137025e8ba15be3be8c75842805a.jpg

Also, look for David Picton's green spitfire - a Mk2 I think. He did hidden hinges on that, as well as all the other mods - 6-cylinders, Lucas PI, etc. I posted on that some years ago, but forgotten which forum.

Cheers, Richard