Brake pipe length

Joel

Good afternoon all.

I'm replacing the copper brake pipes on my Mk II and the set delivered from Canley Classics has a different length pipe from rear union to right rear wheel. It is a good bit shorter than the original and I can't run it under the chasis members as before. Can I run the pipe through the tunnel where the handbrake cable sits? I realise there are a few moving parts in the area but the rotoflex etc seem far enough away from the pipe not to ever cause an issue.

New pipe or new position?

Thanks Chaps

Joel

I'm used to making my own pipes so I'd be inclined to say new pipe. I'm overly cautious with brakes but then I use them a lot and like to know they're there when required. The Vitesse setup must vary from the GT6 and Herald routes that I'm familiar with, so not exactly sure where this pipe runs - mine all run across the chassis behind the rear diff mounting.

I've never bought one of those sets so I'm assuming the pipes are all labelled, and so you haven't used a longer one somewhere else? 

Thank you chaps, I'm going to give Canley a call. I'm using the one they label as the rear union to right rear but it's a good 12 inches short. None of the others in the kit are long enough either. I'd rather run the pipe under the chasis as originally done.

Just spoken to Canley and they have confirmed that the pipe run on rotoflex cars should have originally run upwards from the rear union and under the bodywork and not along the chassis behind the diff as mine was set up. Maybe I've got a hybrid? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joel said:

Just spoken to Canley and they have confirmed that the pipe run on rotoflex cars should have originally run upwards from the rear union and under the bodywork and not along the chassis behind the diff as mine was set up. Maybe I've got a hybrid? 

Joel

Early cars did have the pipe routed on the Chassis Bridge, so maybe that's what the PO did?

Canley's Sketch for the Vitesse 6 rear brake pipe route below

vitesse_plate_z.jpg

1 hour ago, Joel said:

I'd rather run the pipe under the chasis as originally done.

You shouldn't run it under the chassis and the factory definitely never did. Anything routed under the chassis becomes the lowest point of the car and hence most vulnerable. That's definitely not something you want your brake pipes to be! Along the side of a chassis rail is fine as it's quite a protected place.

• Like 1

The attached photo shows the old pipe. It was fixed below the chasis members behind the diff (the shape is about what it was when fixed). Happy to go with the run shown and described in your first post, Gary

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joel said:

The attached photo shows the old pipe. It was fixed below the chasis members behind the diff (the shape is about what it was when fixed). Happy to go with the run shown and described in your first post, Gary

Don't forget the clip to hold it secure and out the way of the Driveshafts!!