Cooling hoses

Tanky

Hi all, I hope you are all well...

Could someone please send detailed photos of 1500 spit cooling hoses in situ. I'm really struggling to work out which those goes where. I have a full set of new hoses, but the Haynes's manual is very short on the cooling system.

Also, any suggestions on which coolant would be great, thanks oh wise ones...

Kindest regards

Charlie

That's not quite how they're supposed to be but the routing is right. The back end of the manifold should have a T-piece, which appears to have rusted off yours. It might even still be there but at the other end of a non-original bit of hose, by the look of that last photo. I'd be a little cautious of the security of that hose, at both ends, as there doesn't look to really be enough pipe to properly clamp it to.

Like I said, I think the routing looks right. I don't have a good photo of mine to illustrate how it should be but here are two bits that may help.

HeaterHoses1.jpg.688cd4bb5d93d671b5db58d9d0bf755a.jpgHeaterHoses2.jpg.c432e53536556391b560305492c95cc9.jpg

Note the T-piece is integral with the manifold, and ignore the fuel hose in the foreground as that's not the original routing.

With the fuel pipe routed that way, is there enough play for any engine movement? I'm guessing there must be - but it would concern me if I'm honest.

I wouldn't be concerned with the heater going through the expansion loop particularly - though there could be an argument it would heat up the clutch fluid - but not enough to cause an issue I wouldn't have thought.

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

With the fuel pipe routed that way, is there enough play for any engine movement?

It's about 4" of hose so it copes with up/down movement of the carbs, which is what most of the engine movement is. Arguably it might be vulnerable in a head-on shunt, although the electric pump does have an inertia switch.

• Like 1