GT6 Mk2 Loom question

rulloyd

I just bought a new autosparks GT6 Mk2 loom.

I expected the new loom to look just like the old one but it doesn't.  First there are fewer or more wires at some points and the branches do not branch off in the same places.  Also, very surprisingly all the light connectors are spade type rather than bullet (as per the connections on the lights themselves).  This would mean changing the connectors on the new loom which seems very strange.

Is this normal or have I bought the wrong loom??!!  The guy who sold it to me is very knowledable and swears its for my car.  Confused!!

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Rich

It could be an early, or late, MK2 loom, but it should be like for like - same connectors as original. If the original lights take bullet connectors then that's what should be on the loom.

I know some have variations - for example my Herald 1200 loom came with no connection for the heater blower - and there might be extra wiring for certain optional extras, but the basic loom should be a straight fit with the connections exactly where they are needed to be, as per the original.

I'd take photos of the old loom set beside the new; good closeups that show the differences, or at the very least a good comprehensive list of what the problems are, and let the maker know.

Thanks Colin.

It's very strange.  All the connectors for the lights have spades.  It is a loom for a later Mk2 (mine is the earlier version) but I'm not aware of modified lighting between ealy and late GT6 and as far as I know they still had the same physical lights except the early Mk2 had two reversing lights where the later had one.  

The seller has no problem with me returning it - but it's just weird that it is as it is.

Tomorrow I will ask the manufacturer whats going on.  They are answering the phone - just not making any looms!

Many thanks for all advice.

Rich

I bought my Spitfire's loom (technically a late Mk3 but rebuilt as an early one, with some tweaks) direct from Autosparks and apart from using different bulb holders for the instruments it was as expected. It does seem odd that you found a duffer. When you say the light connectors are spades, do you mean the rear lights? The front ones are all on the bonnet loom with a bunch of intermediate bullet connectors. The rears would be a different type of bullet - actually bare wire ends as supplied - up to late Mk2 GT6 but they would be spades on a Mk3.

After a bit of investigation, its clear that the loom should be identical so the one I received is going back.

As Autosparks are closed I have bought the correct loom from Rimmer (teh only supplier I could find).  However - be warned - Autosparks confirmed that they supply Rimmer - but I found that Rimmer are charging a whopping £70 (actually £50 because I haggled) premium for the same GT6 loom.

What I don't know is if Autosparks have a loom on teh shelf which Rimmers did.  If not Autosparks quote up to 10 weeks manufacturing time.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Rich