Rack re-build

Has anyone rebuilt a rack recently?

ive just fitted new ball end cups and without any shims 26 fitted it locks up when the end (39)  is tightened Down onto the nut (34). The only way round it is to lap a few thou off the new ball joint plastic end of the cup (37) on emery paper so that I get the required 1 1/2 lb pull off on the end of the rod (38)?

anyone else had the issue??

CE6F9962-B608-46AD-8C84-147FCE46492D.jpeg

I think the problem is that the locking washer is thinner than the originals so the nut (39) screws on further.

You could lap the back of the cup as you say or the front of 34.  Or perhaps re-use the original cup (though might still be tight due to the lock washer) - I've not encountered a cup beyond use to date.

Nick

If the lock washer is too thin, is there any mileage in adding shims against the lockwasher? Aka Mini suspension ball joint shims.

Don't know if the Mini ones would be the correct size unfortunatly ( they're 1+1/8 ID  ; 1+1/2 OD and come in 3,5&10thou) but there will be something available out there that will fit.

Just an idle thought....

David

1 hour ago, Mad4classics said:

If the lock washer is too thin, is there any mileage in adding shims against the lockwasher? Aka Mini suspension ball joint shims.

Don't know if the Mini ones would be the correct size unfortunatly ( they're 1+1/8 ID  ; 1+1/2 OD and come in 3,5&10thou) but there will be something available out there that will fit.

Just an idle thought....

David

Those dimensions just about work perfectly, I’ll get some mini shims and give it a go, thanks 👍