Inner wheel arches

Ian Faulds

Hi. I'm repairing my inner wheel arches at the moment. There are 2 brackets on the passenger side inner arch see pic. The other side there's nothing been cut off  during an old repair I think. Anyway question is should both those brackets also be on the other side but handed?  And what are they for?  Note pic is not my car. Its for info only. 

IMG_20200606_142758.jpg

Edited by Ian Faulds
Not finished

Thanks Colin, Petrol tank bracket eh!. Yeah makes sense so that will be the one with the 1/4 unf captive nut in it. So won't be one on the other side. I've just made one too ha ha. Wonder what the top brackets for? Think it's also on other side as there's the remains of one on the arch on the drivers side. 

30 minutes ago, Ian Faulds said:

Thanks Colin, Petrol tank bracket eh!. Yeah makes sense so that will be the one with the 1/4 unf captive nut in it. So won't be one on the other side. I've just made one too ha ha. Wonder what the top brackets for? Think it's also on other side as there's the remains of one on the arch on the drivers side. 

It's for a metal strip that runs from there to the rear valence and supports the lower edge of the side trim and the boot cargo area cover on the GT6. I've got both on my Mk1. The top one should be on both sides, but obviously the petrol tank is one side only.

DSCF7906.jpg.0480055bddee5cfac74062b502648b1e.jpg

As Colin says, the lower one with captive nut is one of the fuel tank mounts.  The upper one is a clipping point for the side trim panel.  This may be different on a Mk3 compared to a round-tail due to the side-mounted fuel filler.

My Mk3 does not have the equivalent on the right side.  What it does have is a support for the boot floor boards attached, spot welded to the wheel tub and to another bracket further back.  There is an equivalent boot floor bracket on the other side but it doesn't attach to the wheel tub.

P1160993s.jpg.017256f541493136007de749ad1a2545.jpg

P1160873s.jpg.f6288fe2fcec4ef1d703f6ae6ee6f3da.jpg

Nick