1st start after rebuild

Gadgetman

What’s people’s thoughts on running an engine after a complete re-build, ie new can, followers , rebored etc etc. 

I’ve  primed the galleries  using a drill down the distributor hole to spin up the oil pump, got good oil pressure. No leaks. 

I’ve heard some say run it at 2000 rpm for 20 mins to bed the cam in. Some say don’t bother just take it out for a drive. 
I’m aware triumph didn’t take much care with new engines but after lots of £ going into this one I want it to be bedded in correctly. 

what’s the opinions from those that have been here before?

There should already be assembly lube on bearings and camshaft lobes. Squirt a little engine oil into the plug holes to lubricate the pistons and rings.

Before start up, spin the engine on the starter with plugs out to get oil pressure and distribute the oil in the bores.. Fit the plugs, start and run for 20 mins at 2,000rpm. This ensures plenty of oil movement inside the crankcase to splash lubricate the cam lobes during this critical phase. During this period, keep a close eye on the temp gauge in case of an airlock restricting coolant circulation and keep checking for leaks.

The only reason to use a different procedure would if the camshaft manufacturer gave different instructions.

Good luck!

Nigel

5 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

There should already be assembly lube on bearings and camshaft lobes. Squirt a little engine oil into the plug holes to lubricate the pistons and rings.

Before start up, spin the engine on the starter with plugs out to get oil pressure and distribute the oil in the bores.. Fit the plugs, start and run for 20 mins at 2,000rpm. This ensures plenty of oil movement inside the crankcase to splash lubricate the cam lobes during this critical phase. During this period, keep a close eye on the temp gauge in case of an airlock restricting coolant circulation and keep checking for leaks.

The only reason to use a different procedure would if the camshaft manufacturer gave different instructions.

Good luck!

Nigel

Yup

lots of oil and cam lube used along with Graphogen on the journals and rocker shaft during assembly!

16 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Yup

lots of oil and cam lube used along with Graphogen on the journals and rocker shaft during assembly!

Big variation in the price of Graphogen. I paid £27 for a 125g tube, and prices online that I checked yesterday were varying from £29.50 for a 50g tube right up to £43 for the larger.