Stale petrol

Pdv

In my experience petrol takes a long, long, long time to go “off”. However when it does there’s no mistaking it as it loses its petrol smell and acquires a distinctive foul aroma quite unlike anything I’ve ever smelt before. 

Paul

21 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I had a surf blue Morris mini woodie, 10 years I had that car, everything that could go wrong with it, did. I loved that car, then I bought a Triumph.and, much the same! 😆

Doug

Yes mine did too.  One issue was that the fuel tank rusted halfway up and leaked badly, at the seam, so capacity was down from I think 4.5 gallons to 2.25 gallons, but there were lots of petrol stations in those days.  Anyway on £13.00 a week I could only afford two gallons.  Oops - I had never thought about the petrol sloshing onto the exhaust pipe until I wrote this!

41 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:
Beware the dreaded E10 Fuel coming to your local garage soon!

"This approach (introduction of E10 by 2021) has been backed by the UK and Ireland Fuel Distributors Association (UKIFDA) and the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs(FBHVC), providing that E5 was kept available in a higher octane ‘protection grade’.

Since then, Sir Greg Knight MP, chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group, has written to Parliament and been assured by a DfT Minister that the Government recognised that historic vehicles needed such a fuel. In response to a similar written question from FBHVC President Lord Steel, the DfT reply went further and stated that the Government intended to make the continued availability of the protection grade fuel a legal requirement for five years, which is the longest period permitted before a review.

There are already various additives available to stabilise ethanol, to suit vehicles with or without catalytic converters, in a similar vein to lead-replacement additives."

Those are the two important points that will kill it for us - remember leaded? LRP fuel? We were told it would be sold alongside unleaded to suit vehicles that required it. Where is it now? FIVE YEARS is nothing - by 2022, let alone 2026, you'll have trouble finding good fuel in 99% of fuel stations.

If there are additives available, the the view will be that it is up to US to buy them to make our cars compatible, not for any garages to stock a costly and limited-market fuel that might just be used by the occasional Classic Car that passes by. (And not all classics, either - given that a classic these days seems to be any car that has left the showroom then Classic Cars that can't run on E10 are in a small percentage, and so only a niche market.)

• Confused 1