Restoration Next Steps

I got my last set through Black Circles web site via Topcashback. I got a good cashback deal at that time. What is the view of everyone about the best tyres for grip etc in view of the small amount of use for most of us over the 10 year span? Just curious as to what are the favourites from composition to cheap & cheerful?

Sorry Julien, we have hijacked your thread!!

I wonder how many motorists actually know that tyres are now date stamped and what the reaction (if any) would be if they realised that they, in effect, now had a 'sell by' date just like food. I had no idea until I read it (yes Pete, you were right) on here some years ago.

5 minutes ago, Julian Jones said:

novice like me 

No............ with the banter leg pulling and thread drift   plus all the  amazing advice from all the contributors on here you will  soon be a    NOVICE    Ha !  

always ask ............ someone has the answers 

Pete

I’ve run a few manufacturing business in my career and as we made our  products more reliable to last longer we very effectively reduced our aftermarket spares and replacement product revenues. 

im now quite cynical about many products where it seems sell or use by dates are designed by manufacturers to make us buy new, more quickly, i saw an advert the other day telling me that my bed is a danger to my back after 7 years, I slept well last night trying to remember in which decade my bed was changed!

I guess with tyres we’d hope that independent science would  exist to give unbiased guidance on tyre life,  I always thought that the MOT was a rigorous safety assessment test but I’m now not so sure

best Julian 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

i like the Dreams advert  does matter if its a £80 half sprung abomination or a £1000  master piece 

they want you to change it every 5 years    really    

pete

I can't wait, I changed mine last year (there was a trench which I rolled into on my side) but after buying a new mattress for about £800 it's turned out to be rock solid, like sleeping on boards. It hurts my shoulders, my hips, and my thighs however 'er indoors snoozes away all night and tells me I'm just a wimp.

I blotted my copybook by showing her the bed advert which features the hippo and the duckling, then telling her I was the duckling...

• Haha 1

Doing a bit of Googling I found this:

In November 2018 the government updated the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency guidance on maintaining roadworthiness, to the effect that tyres of 10 years of age or older should not be used on the front or steering axles of heavy goods vehicles as well as buses and coaches. ...7 Feb 2019