Which coil fitted?

petegardner_901

Hi

Electrics not my strong point but can anyone tell me how I can identify what type of coil I have fitted to a 1979 Spitfire 1500?

I suspect the previous owner may have changed it and I'm not sure if it's the correct one for a ballasted system.

I understand a non ballast coil is a 12V..?  and a standard, original ballasted one would be around 6 to 7V..?

No markings on the coil so how do I find out?

Thanks

yes there are ballast coils out there with 12v marked on, (as the base vehicle voltage)  

running a 6/8 volt coil on 12-14 volts doubles the HT and current at the points ... impending failure anytime soon.

running 1,5 ohms with a coil suited to 12v is ok but you double the current the points have to deal with , so points and condensers can fail due to overload, then what is the HT 

voltages produced , the std set up is around 22KV if halving the resistance boosts the HT to much higher voltages then rotors and caps all start to fail 

they are just not designed to handle much more than the std  output .

many past dizzy /points/ elec units /rotors have caused problems when wrong spec coil outputs and current loadings are employed 

beware going to a lower resistance does not seem Utopia , just headaches 

Pete

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

running 1,5 ohms with a coil suited to 12v is ok but you double the current the points have to deal with , so points and condensers can fail due to overload,

Hello Pete,

Unless the car is running a set of twin points - such as some V8 variants. Due to the dwell of that cylinder configuration the 1.5ohm recycles faster and supplies the correct level of charge to meet the demand of those 8x cylinders as a result of the reduced dwell.

Regards.

Richard.

if  you have std points  I would   as if you still have  the ballast feed  ( normally a dull white/pink) with a yellow trace from the solenoid  you will be getting a weak HT 

with the 6-8 ballast supply . running a 1.9ohm coil     use  a 1.5 ohm  eg  DLB102 https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/98/category/21

if the ballast has been removed/bypassed  then get a 12v 3 ohm coil  like GLB105     https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/96/category/21

Pete

Hey thanks Pete

I have no history with the car but it has a sports exhaust and other ‘tweaks’ so I’m thinking it may have had a 3 ohm coil fitted but still has ballast wire so not quite right in all.

it runs out of power uphills and struggles to get to 70 even on a level road so I’m hoping a new coil would help

the ballast is just a  1970.s  aid to starting giving a boost to the HT when cold and low battery states exist , helps the spark when the starter is taking

all the battery capacity to crank  it up.

if you fit a 3 ohm you need to make a new feed from the white pigtail off the ign switch to the coil and dump the murky white/pink ballast wire 

you wont need the white/yellow that links the stater solenoid  to the coil when cranking

if you use a 1.5 ohm then leave all alone ...providing it does use the white/pink  and the white yellow,s to ballast /drop the running voltage 

Pete