Synchronising Strombergs

Bobsprott

Attempting to synchronise the carburettors on my Vitesse 6. Watched the you tube video and bought a carb sync tool. Ran the engine to operating temperature (with air filters off). When I placed the sychroniser onto the carb the little red ball went right up to the top of the plastic tube and the car tried to stall, which it eventually did. This happened on both carbs. I did manage to slightly adjust the mixture and I have to say it is running a dream as I also changed the plugs but wonder why the synchroniser behaved the way it did. Any ideas?

most sychronisers have a method of adjusting the air flow through  the gadget  as all engines vary so you allow enough through without it stalling the idle

what unit is it  ????

and if you set the idle screws the same , ie from just touching its stop to 1.5 turns open then you will get a satisfactory balance   thats just how the carbs were sent to the line engine dress, no faffing with balancing just mechanically set equal idle and jet settings 

Pete 

Synchroniser sounds like mine the little domed valve In the throat can be adjusted to give more air by screwing In/out a little then the little red ball will drop down towards the middle or bottom of the tube & you can balance the two carbs.

Had mine around 40 years made in Taiwan I don’t know if I lost the instructions or there weren’t any?

My one (cheap plastic thing from a high street motor factor) has a propeller blade pattern on the two parts of the throat fitting. You rotate one relative to the other to open up or close the big air bleed. Start with it fully open, place on one carb, then close until the marker ("little red ball") sits about half way. The tool is then "set" for your engine and you can do the balancing.