No Petrol at plugs

David McHugh

Hi Guys, your expertise is sort.

Following a complete strip down of the engine on my 1300 Spitfire IV, I have fuel going into the carbs but it does not appear to be at the plugs. The carbs were not stripped down just removed and replaced using new gaskets all round. I have spark and the fuel pump is pumping fuel into the carbs

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thank you in advance

David...

Not clear if you replaced the manifold gasket? If that's leaking your sucking air in through the manifold instead of the carbs. Put your hand over the carb air intake and turn the engine over, (I can do it, I've got long arms, but you might need an assistant!) Can you feel  the vacuum? If not, it's the manifold gasket or.........no compression :o  Hopefully it's the carbs, did you put the gaskets on right? That's easily done wrong.

I have not taken the Carbs apart, they came off because I could not lift the cylinder head back in place with the exhaust manifold and Carbs I'm place. I used all new gaskets. As far as I could see, the gasket can only go on one way.

It was also my thought that air could be sucking in but could not think of a way to find out. I will remove the air filters as soon as I get home, about 17:00 I hope.

Thank you guys