Diesel

grahame walker

With Brexit looming the cross-border fuel smugglers over here will have a field day. Everything from acid to bleach is used to kill the colour of Irish diesel, which is dyed green for Customs and Revenue marker use, then it's sold through dodgy outlets that are closed weekly and reopen somewhere else the next day. A few years back they were making so much money that when you filled your tank for about a tenner they gave you free groceries as well, which made you feel much better when your engine gave up a few months later.

23 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

A few years back they were making so much money that when you filled your tank for about a tenner they gave you free groceries as well, which made you feel much better when your engine gave up a few months later.

Which supports the old saying no such thing as a free lunch.

Regards

Paul

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Which supports the old saying no such thing as a free lunch.

Regards

Paul

Thankfully back in those days I drove petrol only, so never had to try it. Now that I've got a diesel, it's off road so much that £20 lasts about 2 months... but local breakers were making a fortune out of replacement diesel pumps; prices of £1000 - £1800 were not uncommon for Rover 25 or VW Jetta pumps back in the early 2000s.

Reminds me a bit, of the "customer" I knew, He had an old Winnebago Big 7.4 "Gasser" Fitted an LPG conversion as so many did. Road (LPG) fuel tax was Circa 15p/litre. But comercial use was exempt (zero). The guy had large glasshouses heated by Calor. Hence me being involved for a 10 year vessel exam. He had a filling point for his Fork Truck(s). Which was also the point at which he Filled the LPG tank on his Winnebago!.