Steering wheel

Gavin

Hi all

I’m very new to this and something of an amateur so I firstly apologise for the many questions I will probably ask, and thanks in advance for the help received!

I would like to replace the standard steering wheel on a 1979 spitfire with a wooden one. Spotted a few on eBay, just wondered if the dimensions displayed on the pic attached means it would fit the spitfire? 

thank you!

Gavin

296F9CBD-1BFB-4EE9-9A3D-5987CDA49B27.png

Those dimensions refer to the adaptor boss the wheel will fit. 

If you buy a proper make (Mota lita, OMP, Sparco and several others are quality. Best advice is to avoid ebay specials or unbranded stuff.) they will have a boss available. For a late spitfire (horn on a stalk) the column is a larger diameter than the other spitfires/hearld/vitesse and GT6

Hi Clive 

thanks for the reply. I have seen the Mota Lita wheels but at well over £100, I do have to stick to eBay models I’m afraid (I have some specific personal circumstances that I should mention perhaps in an introductory topic elsewhere. Suffice to say I’m not able to work at the moment so money is tighter than usual). 

just wondered if those dimensions measured up - thanks again for taking the trouble to help.

19 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Hi Clive 

thanks for the reply. I have seen the Mota Lita wheels but at well over £100, I do have to stick to eBay models I’m afraid (I have some specific personal circumstances that I should mention perhaps in an introductory topic elsewhere. Suffice to say I’m not able to work at the moment so money is tighter than usual). 

just wondered if those dimensions measured up - thanks again for taking the trouble to help.

Be careful. Heard of new wheels breaking during use. Not a good thing to happen. One of those was a brand new Mountney. 

Better to keep the OE wheel if at all unsure, not really essential purchase.

also  yes as clive says 

the mountney rim is held on with clips and rivets they comw loose and the wheel becomes a bit rickety

stick to one with a solid alloy sub structure .all l one piece 

then do you want flat or dished  there is lots of options 

some have a small rim and if used to a comfy modern find you have to grip it well or add a glove . all things to consider 

Pete 

Thanks chaps, I’ll look out for those things. I’ll go for solid structure and 14”. As you say Clive not an essential purchase but something id like (and the situation I’m in, that’s important believe me!)

I’d rather not have too much of a workout or have to wear gloves! 😄 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Thanks chaps, I’ll look out for those things. I’ll go for solid structure and 14”. As you say Clive not an essential purchase but something id like (and the situation I’m in, that’s important believe me!)

I’d rather not have too much of a workout or have to wear gloves! 😄 

Depends on how tall you are, too... I have to use a 13" semi-dished in my GT6 otherwise my legs won't fit under it.