Oil Seal replacement on d type o/drive

goldy

I'm looking to replace the oil seal on the output end of a d type overdrive does anyone have instructions on how to replace the seal?

It looks like you have to split the overdrive and possibly need to press out the bearing is it something that a novis could tackle and are any special tools required?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks Dave

first remove the tunnel and the small plate covering the prop shaft   you need to drop the prop shaft  and remove the coupling nut the coupling should just pull off . you then can hook the old seal out tap in the new  refit the coupling(add a smear of grease to the seal contact diameter) torque the nut  90lbft (well nice and tight) refit propshaft 

recheck oil levels  top up with EP80/90 GL4   oil 

Pete

Is the seal on these on the inside of the rear housing, or the outside? It's hard to tell from any diagrams I've just looked at! Some, as in the exploded drawing below, appear to show the seal inside the rear cover, not outside, but it may be just the way the assembly is illustrated. If it's pressed in from outside, the way a normal triumph gearbox is sealed, then as the guys have already said, remove the propshaft, mark the position of the nut on the end of the O/D, remove it, the washer and the flange, then just pull off the seal. Slide a new one on, press home, then replace the assembly and tighten the nut to where it was before when the marks line up. 

GT6-048.gif.fa7c8038ea4ea4ba8d5205426bf0864d.gif

Guys Many thanks

The seal had a metal outer part I drilled and put a self tapper in and pried out seal with out to much difficulty, just hope the replacement holds it didn't seem that tight, time will tell.

Thank you all again