2 litre Mk1 engine and sensible mods

Davidsw

Good afternoon I’ve been reading about the engine in the car I’m going to look at . It’s a Mk1 2 litre saloon white with black stripes . However can that engine become more excitable , I know it does breathe as well as the mk2 .  But can you still change the cam etc . Etc .

Thanks in advance 

It is possible to get "plenty" of power from the mk1 engine. It depends on budget,a nd remembering to do a complete job.

If you get all the std parts working correctly (distributer set up with correct advance, carbs refurbished if any wear etc) plus any work on the engine. Then maybe fit a mk2 cam and a rolling road tune will see the sensible power. After that the amount of cash goes up quickly. It is possible to spend 20K on an engine.....

But a certain forum member has ( I assume) a nicely built mk2 engine, with a suitable cam and EFI which makes plenty of power and is a reliable setup. Triple webers work well, but probably use rather more fuel

Lots of choices, but decide exactly what you want before starting, otherwise money/time/effort is wasted.

Crikey, It has been a while since I thought about that. I have an idea it will, but don't take it as gospel. Obviously need to upgrade the stud size, which is no bad thing on a MK1 head.

I think the early mk1 blocks used the small bearing crank? if so that would be the one to use.

2 hours ago, johny said:

Clive out of interest is it agreed that a mk2 head wont go straight onto a mk1 block?

It will if the head stud holes in the block (3/8” UNF) are drilled out and re-tapped 7/16” UNF. Not a bad mod for a mk 1 head either.

However, unless you are wanting big gains there are few benefits to converting and you’d need the manifolds as well. Perfectly possible to get 115 -120 bhp from the Mk1 while remaining completely tractable

Nick

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

It will if the head stud holes in the block (3/8” UNF) are drilled out and re-tapped 7/16” UNF. Not a bad mod for a mk 1 head either.

Hello David

I drilled and tapped mine to 7/16" UNF (But I did make a jig to make sure they are square etc)

Roger

ps I sold it to another member on the condition he would lend or sell it to others to use>

DSC01807.JPG