Solex B30 PSE1 Leaking fuel upon stopping engine

Tipidave

5 hours ago, Tipidave said:

Again, I think the dizzy is not original and I have no idea about the curve. I have purchased an old original and intend to send to distributor doctor when enough pennies are put by. 😀😀👍

Some dizzy figures that might help (bottom row)

curves.thumb.png.bf079699aad2c0923baf7b42494d9adc.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just returned from an impromptu 150 mile trip. The car drives pretty well and fuel economy is much improved (around 45 per gallon now). Acceleration is still a bit lacking .... Contact gap set 0.015” giving 39 degrees dwell angle and valve clearances all adjusted. Set to 15 degrees advance at around 700 rpm with vacuum removed and blanked.

Two remaining problems with the carb are...

1) drip of fuel from spindle under the float chamber even when. It isn’t more than warm. One drip every 10-20 seconds starts about 3-5 minutes after stopping engine. Some fuel draining from the manifold drain too. This stops after around 20 minutes or so.

I did try leaving the stopped car with the choke out in the hope that this would open the throttle butterfly sufficiently to allow any fuel  in the throat to drain through the manifold drain. I am puzzled as to the cause. But most concerned about the drip of fuel onto a hot manifold.

2)Throttle mechanism reluctant to return spindle to idle position so idle revs appear high (around 11-1300 at a gues). A quick blip on the throttle and it will usually then settle onto the idle stop.

Definitely improved from yesterday!

bear in mind dizzy stats are dizzy rpm so half crank rpm and the degs on crank are x 2   dizzy degs.

most dizzy test data is done decelerating not accelerating the rpm

there is a full set of test data in the triumph  workshop manual 

think i would remove the float needle valve and give it a light tap with a small hammer to re seat it 

the mani drain tube is there to drain excess fuel from choke operation its supposed to be defunct for normal running  

i get the feeling this is an over fuelling problem  what pump is fitted , 

is the fuel tank venting OK ( via the cap) 

pete

Yes tank is venting ...

not sure about the pump. I will try to get a decent photo of it. I know it isn’t the original and irritatingly I cannot find it in my ‘bitsa’ box... 

but the pressure regulator in the filter is adjusted and working. 

there is no evidence of it dripping fuel while the engine is running... only starts a few minutes after cutting motor. 

I am pretty sure that this isn’t heat related because I have seen it do it even when engine is still cold/cool

even after a long run today it was pretty cool to the touch. Is there any way for fuel from the accelerator pump circuit to disperse into the swan neck... I did witness this although some was also coming from the bridge. 

Out of interest... is there any way to know that the float valve is seated at the correct height? 

Can  it be measured relative to the edge of the carb body/lid?

I have read about the need for different washers depending upon whether it is a plastic or brass float. In my case it is a plastic float.

if the specific gravity of a modern fuel is sufficiently different from the old stuff... could the weight of the float now be incorrect?

just a thought. 

I have now read severalrelated threads online, unfortunately none have reported a solution to the problem. Most just agree it is a problem associated with new fuels.

with this in mind i filled up with the essohigh performance petrol which according to the essay web site does not contain any ethanol.

thouughts?

well theres a lot of myths about    most fuel problems are crap rubber hose supplies 

we dont have anyone with ethanol dissolved carburettors  or exploding pump bodies 

will have a browse about float heights in the morning Im too enthused with the crap  TV to go and have a look  

there will be a dimension from the top face ....watch this space he says !!

certainly the higher ron fuels have less or no ethanol added ...guess its coming 

pete

I may be into the right track... it seems that today’s fuel is a significantly different specific gravity which results in the float floating higher in the fuel... which in turn raises the level of fuel in the float chamber. 

therefore I plan to put an additional washer under the valve to lower the fuel level a bit and see if it has an effect. Does this sound like a sensible idea?? 

I have never used a fuel supply regulator but this reminds me of a problem we had with a regulated water supply.  The equipment needed a supply pressure of 15 psi which was controlled by the regulator.  However, when the equipment was turned off, a slight leak in the regulator allowed the downstream pressure to gradually increase upto mains pressure.  When the equipment was turned back on, the flow was much greater than the leakage so the pressure returned to 15 psi.  If there was a slight leak in the fuel regulator, on stopping the engine, the pressure on the needle valve would slowly increase to the residual pressure in the pump caused by the return spring acting on the diaphragm.  This could possibly cause a couple of cc of petrol to flow into the carb.  May be relevant  if all other causes are eliminated.

Yes I will do this. I will try my shim under the float valve first. 

next I may try to clamp the fuel out from the regulator and see if it still happens. 

finally I will see  if I can get an original mechanical fuel pump band a new run of copper fuel pipe. 

thanks for the ideas... keep em coming 😀👍

Today. I have learned some more.

Firstly, after my long run at the weekend, and following use of a colourtune plug today i have determined that the mixture is running rich both at idle and at higher revs. My neighbour also watched me off up the road and said there was a small black puff from the exhaust as i accelerated away and changed from first to second.

Also when half way through my 150 mile trip at the weekend i stopped and inspected number 4 plug and whilst not the worst i have seen it was definitely a bit sooty, rather than a nutty brown. This was after 90 miles of relatively high speed (i use the term loosely)running.

given the limited number of adjustments available... does this support the notion that the level in the float is high?

or could a timing/ spark issue give the same?

anything else?

Valve adjustments re checked and found to be spot on.

you will always get a puff of smoke every time you operate the accelerator pump so on gear changes ...yes

retarded or insufficient advance reduced efficiency and  again  sooty   ..yes

the 1147 was never a lean burning unit  as well before emissions took hold

puling a plug needs to be done after alight throttle steady cruise , and coast/eng off   to a layby to check

rich at idle is back to screw the volume screw in to best running 

the idle circuit stops working as soon as you open the throttle it has no effect on road running throttle mixture

rich at high revs   on alight engine/no load i would expect that on a colour tune   

they really are not a lot of use in real engine operation 

and open the throttle this squirts the accel pump  and yellow flames   quite normal

i would advance by ear   then you drive with less throttle for the same power ...and may be get a win   from all this 

idea do you have a vacuum gauge you can tap in the manifold  should read 18 to 21 in/hg at idle 

below 18 and  its   retarded

Pete