postman

When I stripped the dashboard the rev counter bullet connector on the white/slate wire to the coil unfortunately failed to seperate and ripped the brass post out of the back of the tacho. I've taken the tacho apart, epoxied the brass post in place and resoldered the tiny little wire to it. Feeling pleased with the job I tried it in the car and as soon as the ignition is switched on the needle jumps to full scale deflection and stays there until I switch the ignition off. My electronic abilities are limited to checking continuity and voltage, so does anybody have any suggestions as to the problem ? I am as sure as I can be that it is all connected correctly.

Thanks, Tim.

Oh, I just remembered that one of these red wires was hanging off so I've soldered it back to the +ve terminal. I'm doubting myself now - does anybody know if this is correct with both red wires soldered together here? I'm kind of sure that's how it was but in the heat of the moment I do silly things. 

IMG_20210403_171411.jpg

Smashin' thanks Colin. Dismantling it (again!) I remembered (crikey, it was only a few days ago, what's wrong with me?) that the other end of the yellow wire was also almost ripped off so I resoldered it. I wonder if I've damaged the little circuit board or components with heat.