Shakedown run

Adrian

Hi all, just been out for a 15 mile run. I know I’ve got old fuel and so the running isn’t going to be great but wanted to burn a bit out of the tank before topping up so hopefully the first bit is due to the fuel. What I found was when hot it really didn’t want to accelerate and  kangarood and had to put in major revs to keep it moving. Is it just the old fuel or some evaporation, worst after coming to a stop and then starting again.

secondly, wheel shims. Straight line and gentle corners fine but drivers side when turning right only I’ve got a slight rub that disappears once straight, is that a major problem. Can I leave or will wear cause the hub friction to build up heat?

other than that possibly a bit rich with a bit of backfiring but no point till fresh fuel is added.

Adrian

45 minutes ago, Adrian said:

other than that possibly a bit rich with a bit of backfiring but no point till fresh fuel is added.

How old is the fuel? A few months shouldn't matter but a few years . . . I don't use my 13/60 over winter so it sits with whatever petrol is there at the end of the season and never had a problem.

Because of last year 2 years possibly longer about 1/3 left.

Another question is diff whine, checked when restoring and all seemed ok, when is it too loud? Also very slight leak in gear box (couple of drops every couple of weeks to a month from the drain plug) on the to do but want to drive it a bit this year first,  are there any indicators it needs to be done sooner, like not getting into gear or grinding?

I would check all levels before running Adrian, including dashpot levels on carbs as this could cause bad running. as for a couple of drips now again, don't worry about it. Also have you changed the oil and filter? That is important. The slight rub will possibly be rust on the brakes which will disappear with use.

Tony. 

Levels were good and all rust removed during rebuild I’m pretty sure I need 1 or 2 more thou  but wondering how important it is.

one thing I forgot was the clutch was solid and took quite a bit of pedal pressure to separate the clutch plate from the flywheel, is that common when not used?

3 hours ago, Adrian said:

Levels were good and all rust removed during rebuild I’m pretty sure I need 1 or 2 more thou  but wondering how important it is.

one thing I forgot was the clutch was solid and took quite a bit of pedal pressure to separate the clutch plate from the flywheel, is that common when not used?

Just change oil and filter, top up dashpots and give it a run to the garage for fuel. The noise's should soon disappear. 

Tony.