GT6 Mk1 - How to change speedo cable

Top Banana

All,

First post so be kind, Speedo packed up so I purchased and new one and want to also change the cable. Can I access the gearbox end of the cable from under the car or should I remove the Gear Box Plastic tunnel cover from within the car (worried about it all fitting back together with the carpets etc and the effort required).

Thanks

if the inner has not broken  you could just replace the inner cable from the dash end

with a light film of grease , dont use oil , and always sparingly 

just feed it in and give it a twist and wiggle to engage the gearbox drive/or angle drive if its overdrive 

if you have overdrive and the angle drive its important a 7/16dia washer( any washer ) is fitted between the angle and the gearbox 

or the angle gets pre loaded and will fail ( which means tunnel off) 

if no overdrive   sleep easy 

Pete

TB,

Yeh, tunnel off is an easy, but tedious job, some take the seats out, but it's not necessary, you can wiggle it out. You might like to consider cutting an access hole in the cover, if you haven't already got one, so you can do gearbox top ups. 

SL380696.thumb.JPG.cc325afc79b8db06e5ca31b44bdaca52.JPG

Doug

Doug

All,

Thanks for all the replies, all proved useful

@Gary Finn, you are correct there is no way to access the speedo cable from underneath of the car.

@Peter Lewis - Great idea to use just used the Inner cable from the newly purchased Speedo cable  (Speedometer Cable - 48 inch Long - GSD111) and feed it from the dashboard end to replace the old cable inner. unfortunately the existing cable fitted to the GT6 is 54 inches long and therefore never reached the gearbox drive !! So dam

@DougbGt6 - I followed your suggestion and took the tunnel off and fitted the new cable inner & outer. When I change the gearbox Oil next I will drill a hole for the Gearbox top-up, my tunnel casing is shaped slightly different. 

A 48 inch cable seems very short to follow the route up past the gearbox to the engine bay and then loop around into the bulk head for a straight line to the Speedo dial. Not much to spare the other 56 inch cable felt better.

THANK YOU ALL

John

• Like 1

If you own a small chassis Triumph you will have to get used to removing the gearbox cover. It really isn't difficult, just a time consuming pain. Replacing the inner cable is a great idea but if it has broken how do you get the lower part out as it won't just pull from the speedo end.

on a local 13/60 when fitting the overdrive gearbox we cut a hole in the tunnel/floor and ran the cable in under the carpet which allowed using the std able length

on a OD box and no angle drive needed   ....it works  but doesnt help the tunnel off requirement 

Pete