Gt6 mk2 Bonnet Grill Colour

Mark B

Does anyone know the original colour of the mk2 bonnet grill. I know the later grills were black plastic, the earlier versions were made from an alloy, but have seen these in satin black and silver alloy. Similar story on the mk3 Spit. Have a feeling they were black from 1970, same time the reverse and number plate light revisions took place on both models, but I maybe wrong.

On 16/08/2021 at 13:54, NonMember said:

When I refurbished the one on my 1970 Spitfire, I did it black with just the highlights in polished silver, because that's what I believed at the time was the original finish.

Same as my Mk1, although you see more of it than with the MK2. Sprayed it all black then removed the paint on the leading edges. Before the rebuild it was all silver and I didn't like that look. 

Mk1.jpg.e607c309112ad37a9ecf16a6f377a057.jpg  DSCF1346.jpg.92b7ba5a05d156f26391079344c64e9c.jpg

I know your talking re original grills and painted or not, but the daughters 66 Mk2 Spit had the wrong grills fitted so I made hers in two halves one each side by using 5/8in by 1/8in thick aluminum  bar cut to lengths and spaced out between the Al bars with 1/2in long tube, and two long bolts holding it all together for each side, the tubes are painted black and the Al bars left unpainted and silver, can't get a photo due to current lock down.