Aluminium bodied GT4

John, It's looking great.

Thank you Kevin. Every now and then I have a need to assemble all the bits I've made just to give me a bit of encouragement and to show that progress is actually being made. I think with any project it is easy to get into the doldrums from  time to time and a bit of assembly does provide a well needed boost.

Next job is to finish the right hand rear quarter light panel and then I'll be ready for the final in situ TIG weld which will join all the rear panels together. Once that's done I'll be on the home straight. :) :)

I've now turned my attention to the driver's side rear quarter light panel which just needs the return forming and welding on. Here are a few pictures showing how I made the return. Starting with a flat strip of aluminium this was folded to a right angle and then using a shrinker shaped to follow the curve of the steel beneath it. The last bit where it bends upwards near the B post had to be stretched. The horizontal needed shrinking to follow the taper towards the rear of the car. I annealed the horizontal in order to make it easier to form where it meets the existing panel.gallery_67_25_38151.jpggallery_67_25_16548.jpggallery_67_25_2660.jpggallery_67_25_49097.jpggallery_67_25_20026.jpg

The roof is now bonded onto the shell with two pack adhesive so there's no going back. The rear panel is trimmed ready for butt welding to the tailgate panel following bonding on. There's a little more work before the rear quarter light panels can be fitted but they should be on during the coming week. A few pictures attached.gallery_67_25_70840.jpggallery_67_25_59930.jpggallery_67_25_44058.jpg

I've been finishing the rear quarter light panels in preparation for bonding them both to the steel shell and the side roof flanges. The roof itself is held on in much the same way as on the GT6 but of course on the steel car it is spot welded down the rain gutter rather than bonded with an epoxy adhesive. I'm really impressed with the adhesive and totally confident that the joint will never come apart.

Hopefully more pictures later in the week.

The rear wings in common with most of the aluminium panels are made up of several sub-panels which are gas welded and metal finished to make a complete wing. The wing itself is built on a station buck which is not a former against which a part is beaten but more a pattern to check that the panel is the correct shape. The buck is made from 12mm Birch plywood and is reversible so that it can be used on both sides. In order to achieve a really sharp return this piece of the wing is made separately. It is formed by first folding to form an L section and then shrunk and stretched to shape it to match the body. The following picture shows it formed and trial fitted.gallery_67_25_26987.jpgmed_gallery_67_25_82299.jpggallery_67_25_5554.jpg

Both rear quarter light panels have now been etch primed on the inside followed by top coat and they are now safely bonded on to the steel frame. It is so easy to damage panels that are just lying around in the workshop so it's always a relief once they are fitted. This applies most of all to the roof panel that i really wouldn't want to repeat in a hurry.med_gallery_67_25_88219.jpggallery_67_25_34778.jpg

On fitting the rear wing a misalignment was apparent. Quite how this happened is a bit of a mystery because before the side panel was bonded on everything fitted perfectly.

I suspected that the side panel hadn't sat down properly so I removed a wedge shaped piece and then replaced it in the correct position. I also removed a section of the wing to be replaced by another that replicated closely the contour of the side panel. Pictures show the sequence. In order to make the wing section piece easy to form it was annealed by first blackening the surface with an acetylene rich flame and the n removing the black by heating with a neutral flame. Once the black disappears this is a signal that annealing temperature is reached. Once clamped in place over the wing it was an easy matter to hand form the new piece. I hope the pictures clarify the process.

Picture 1 shows the problem and the final one the solution.gallery_67_25_4652.jpggallery_67_25_51282.jpggallery_67_25_43106.jpggallery_67_25_28972.jpggallery_67_25_20484.jpggallery_67_25_27187.jpggallery_67_25_49181.jpggallery_67_25_40833.jpg

The back panel is now fully TIG welded to the tailgate aperture and rear quarter light panels which completes the welding of the rear end. By welding on the curve distortion is kept to a minimum but shrinkage always occurs which necessitates tapping up the area immediately around the weld and then filing flat. The lows are brought up with a slapper and weight. gallery_67_25_59953.jpggallery_67_25_30178.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a start on the last panel; the right hand rear wing. This is made up of five separate sub-panels that are welded together. The return contains the mounting bolts which attach the wing to the body. The return which i showed bring formed in an earlier post is welded on.

Now, great excitement. The bonnet. We clamped the two halves together and laid it in position and I have to say that I am absolutely delighted with how it looks. It will have headlights recessed behind perspex covers and a hand made widened Triumph grille. Here are a few pictures. Sorry I have posted two of the same and cannot delete the unwanted one.gallery_67_25_61897.jpggallery_67_25_61897.jpggallery_67_25_15929.jpggallery_67_25_74749.jpg

I've made some good progress since the last offering. The bonnet scuttle end has been re-worked to match the curve of the windscreen frame and the two halves clamped together and the whole thing offered up. At the rear, I'm now ell on the way with the right hand rear wing. The final picture is the second return section formed and waiting for drilling to accept the mounting bolts.gallery_67_25_61897.jpggallery_67_25_74749.jpggallery_67_25_15929.jpggallery_67_25_56222.jpggallery_67_25_24870.jpg

Amazing workmanship John, and you have done that rare thing among special builders, in achieving a look that is even better than the original - the back end looks fabulous. I look forward to seeing the finished article!

Best wishes

Steve

Amazing workmanship John, and you have done that rare thing among special builders, in achieving a look that is even better than the original - the back end looks fabulous. I look forward to seeing the finished article!

Best wishes

Steve

Steve that's really kind of you, thank you. It's amazing what a boost a bit of encouragement gives on a long term project like this one particularly when one sails into the doldrums and headway is lost. I'm glad you like my changes to the bodywork but whether it looks better than the original is a matter of personal taste. I really hope that I haven't upset any purists among us but this shell was built entirely from sections obtained from a breaker. I took the licence with the design for one reason only; to make it easier for me to make. :) I've designed out all the straight creases because they need to be perfectly executed otherwise they would stand out like a sore thumb. The same applies to the rounded rear end and the wings. I spent quite a bit of time looking at cars that i found attractive from the rear including an E Type, 911 and Rochdale Olympic. They all share similar lines which I find attractive. And at Spa, I spotted a Morgan SLR which bears an uncanny resemblancegallery_67_25_2885.jpgto the rear end on my car.

One of the things that never cease to amaze me is how fluid metal is; almost like plasticine. The following pictures show the rear wing return section clamped in place and how much shrinking is going to be needed to bring it to the correct curvature. I'll write up the process and post a few pictures showing how it can be done over the next few daysgallery_67_25_72957.jpgmed_gallery_67_25_96334.jpgmed_gallery_67_25_85184.jpg.

Some time ago, I made a clamping device that I call the Octopus although it only has four legs. For jobs like planishing it is very helpful allowing both hand free to operate the weight and the flipper.

The main concern is that both wings are as close to being identical as they can be. This is partgallery_67_25_35888.jpggallery_67_25_85980.jpgicularly important from the rear.icon_check.png