Aluminium bodied GT4

This morning has been spent on small jobs which can be done more easily with the body off. I tidied up the the exhaust mounts that I'd made yesterday and tightened them up as well as fitting the necessary clamps. it was also a good opportunity to fill the diff and gearbox with oil. Finally I modified the accelerator pedal to take the twin cable block and drilled the scuttle to suit.

• Like 1

I've fitted the twin linkage for the accelerator cables and also drilland tapped the thermostat house for the pipe adapter. This is for the 6mm stainless steel return pipe to the header tank. By turning the thermostat housing through 180 degrees, a standard GT6 bottom hose will fit straight on which is nice. The GT6 bottom hose will also fit the bottom as well. I'll have to fit a half inch stub pipe in the bottom hose and the last picture show me machining a short length of stainless.gallery_67_25_68072.jpggallery_67_25_24928.jpggallery_67_25_13709.jpggallery_67_25_53321.jpg

• Like 1

With the steering column now installed I've been able to connect the plugs and sockets to the main wiring loom and begin checking that the individual circuits operate as they should.  Still a few days needed to complete the wiring but all is progressing very nicely.

• Like 2

Another day spent soldering terminals but good progress made with the three supplementary gauges now wired and fitted as well as the hazard warning switch and warning lamps. Working in the steering column area is not easy because of the restricted access but the middle part of the dashboard should be very much easier particularly  because the the wooden piece can be fitted (and removed) with the gauges fitted.gallery_67_25_756.jpg

Its looking great John. Trivial question is your car going to have a name "The Bonnett Special" maybe?

Aaron 

A good question Aaron but I really don't want to think, and indeed anyone else to think of my car as a Special. If I'd used a Zetec/Type9 then yes it would have been unquestionably a special but it is totally Triumph with subtle body styling changes much in the same way as an E Type Lightweight is different from a standard one . So I think Triumph GT4 Lightweight might fit the bill.

Let us not forget the original was styled by an Italian, now with added va va boom by Bonnett!

Quite right Steve. I love French but it cannot compete with with Italian so perhaps Aaron could substitute Alleggerita for Lightweight on the badge and see what it looks like. What a team!!!

• Like 1

Latin.inluminata 

Can't speak for the French but I think the Latin would be something like alleviatus, or alleviare from the root levis (light in weight) rather than a word from the root  lumen light with which we see.

I do like Alleggerita but I think the Jag/sporting association of Lightweight works best for me.  Don't want to get mistaken for with an Allegro.

C.

• Like 1