SU Carb Bodge

Stratton Jimmer

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

4 holes were generally HS6 a mix of 2 and 4 is to me a bit odd 

I agree Pete. It seems odd to me too. The existing carbs are AUD604 (F&R) and have a spacer between the manifold and the carb fitted. It simply pushes over the stud with a gasket each side. (manifold - gasket - spacer - gasket - carb). The spacers seems to be for insulation as much as anything else. Having given some thought to the whole mess, I am going to pop down to Salisbury and visit the Burlen shop with carbs in hand to buy whatever I might need. Just need to ring them and make sure of when they are going to be open.

1 hour ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I agree Pete. It seems odd to me too. The existing carbs are AUD604 (F&R) and have a spacer between the manifold and the carb fitted. It simply pushes over the stud with a gasket each side. (manifold - gasket - spacer - gasket - carb). The spacers seems to be for insulation as much as anything else. 

I've seen (in fact have two) spacers that are also carb adaptors; they have holes for the existing studs but also alternative holes for fitting different carbs. I wonder if a pair would help you fit the proper or preferred carbs?

adapt.jpg.192184384f8263383821ffe9270edfaa.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i have never seen a mix and match of the offset and square faces as you have ..........someone will recognise it

I need to go out to the garage, because my memory tells me Mk3 GT6 manifolds were like that (but only drilled for the Strombergs)

I wonder if this page is the key to understanding your manifold. It describes modding a GT6 manifold to take SUs by moving the front carb studs further apart and drilling for new studs on 90 degrees out from the originals on the rear. The photos look very much like yours so could well be someone following that idea. 

That certainly looks like it Josef. The front carb mounting would require the original holes to be filled such that new threaded holes can be drilled on the 1/2 inch wider spacing. I can't see any sign of the manifold having been modified though. If it has been done, it was done by a true master craftsman! I note that the first picture is for HS6 carbs with the port opened out to 1.75 inch. My sixpot Spit has HS6 carbs but I haven't explored their mounting yet. I imagine it will be similar to that shown. The alternative is a spacer with a reducing venturi dropping down from 1.75 to 1.5 inch. That may be fitted as the carbs sit a long way from the manifold.

20210131_102755.jpg

I tell you what, fitting the inner return spring is a right pain but takes only seconds once you get it all lined up. Here's the new choke linkage fitted and the carbs remounted. The rod (after much measuring) ended up being 118.2mm in length. I cut it with my hacksaw to 119mm and filed it down from there. I still have to reconnect the other springs, the choke cable and of course the air filters. I will be realigning the throttle cable too as it is pushed sideways by the bonnet. 

carbs with choke.jpeg