Gearlever gaiters…..how many is enough…?

Rockape

So…the new carpet has arrived. It has a gaiter for the gearlever.

the original (knackered) tunnel cover has a gaiter

the new ABS tunnel has a hole, with screws for a gaiter.

do i need to buy a new additional gaiter to replace the original. Or just have the “carpet gaiter”.?

962BD686-FCA2-4C75-95A0-3A357D40C43E.jpeg

A9CC4E93-6AC2-4631-8011-642EC31E2BB1.jpeg

9A5EA90A-7856-4F46-8CBF-87C93B0C2A9F.jpeg

The rubber one nominally will keep oil, fumes etc from getting in the cabin, and the fabric one is just to look prettier. Though the repro rubber one I fitted to my Herald hasn’t lasted all that well (but that doesn’t have a fabric cover at all)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Used both a leather gaiter over the original rubber one in my Vitesse, made the leather one from offcuts from an upholsterers during a covid lockdown.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20210504_094846.jpg

What did you use for the ring around the gear lever? I did make my own for my Spitfire but it was loose on the top where the gearstick passes through. (won’t be going back on the car when the time comes)

17 hours ago, Rockape said:

best supplier for these things? Club? Somewhere else?

club dont sell gaitors

i used a MGB set  up  but does need a platform added to the tunnel  to take the fixings  (on Vitesse )

but for std   gaitor  canley/  james paddock  etc      eg   https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiii&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiii-gear-shift-mechanism

Vit6 2009 018.jpg

I have bought the Paddock’s item - will see how that goes. 

managed to fit the tunnel cover - i completely removed the raised edge to the moulding - didn’t get every single fastener in - but more than on the old one I took out which only had two screws bolding it. 

Carpets next - not looking forward to that much.

44E41C78-3E0E-45C4-90E4-A8BCDBB3638B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Josef said:

What did you use for the ring around the gear lever? I did make my own for my Spitfire but it was loose on the top where the gearstick passes through. (won’t be going back on the car when the time comes)

One of these, a chromed plumbing stop end which I drilled a hole through for the gear lever.

Regards

Paul.

1642099197775436000180.jpg

• Like 1

what car is it spits 1-3 only had the rubber gaiter later cars also had the vinyl one on the carpets as well I cut the vinyl one off the carpet on my mk2 but totally up to you. I would make sure that all the fasteners are in place on the tunnel cover, the top one go in from the engine side, otherwise the hot air from the engine will blast into the cabin and boil your feet

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DanMi said:

what car is it spits 1-3 only had the rubber gaiter later cars also had the vinyl one on the carpets as well I cut the vinyl one off the carpet on my mk2 but totally up to you. I would make sure that all the fasteners are in place on the tunnel cover, the top one go in from the engine side, otherwise the hot air from the engine will blast into the cabin and boil your feet

Its a Mk3. Thanks for the tip on the fittings - will take another look at it. Cutting down the ABS flange means I managed to get a good seal all the way round with the sealing strip though….