Fuel pick up pipe removal

Jeffds1360

Could someone please describe how to remove (and replace) the pick up pipe (13/60 vitesse tank)

I'm not sure what to grip and how much leverage to apply :)

The 'reserve' handle works fine but feels like it may distort if too much force applied.

I have not studied the nuts involved in too much detail yet. Cheers guys ATB 

first you need the tank out dont think there is enough height to lift the dip tube out

you just undo the pipes sleeve nut  rotate the reserve lever to disengage the sweep plate  and lift the tube out the tank 

its is just a curved bit of bundy tube fits through a rubber olive under the sleeve nut  so you need to lift it  the height of the tank to remove the tube 

new tanks dont have this reserve idea  that just drops the dip tube a bit lower  very simple but ive never run out of fuel ever  if you watch the gauge from time to time  Ha 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Aaaah ! Thanks Pete. Do not want to remove the tank if possible. I just want to replace the tube like I have done with the 'up and over' (it is very smelly in the boot), I reckon my old tubes were perforated. I'm covered up to 15%E but still using 5E.

Can you not just ease and bend and pull it over and out???

a petrol leak in the dip tube will keep its smell in the tank   not in the boot  (unless its perforated above the sleeve nut )

try doing the sleeve nut up as first easy step its just a normal  pipe nut  nothing special  if ts loose you have a leaker on sloshing or full tank 

the olive may have deteriorated  you can use a brass one if the pipes out or cut a slice of fuel pipe to make one 

dont know if it will fiddle out with tank in 

you could make a replacement with a plastic tube that would slip in but loose the reserve curved twiddle idea 

Pete

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Can you not just ease and bend and pull it over and out???

It goes right to the bottom of the tank so may be too long to allow it to squeeze out of the space between the tank and the rear deck.

Just unscrew the nut under the lever as pictured and it should pull up provided the lever is unhooked, but you won't know if it will actually fully come out until you try it... I never have in situ.

8B4E2254-8CEA-4458-9F67-010DB09D6C18_1_105_c.jpg.45c3edaa9a03b341f3bf93b5cf849cdd.jpg