Handbrake grip for Spitfire

cliff.b

1 hour ago, Casper said:

OEM kit on my old Montego.  I found one in a scrapyard and fitted it to my Vitesse (since sold).  Great improvement in touchy/feely but didn't improve handbrake effectiveness.  Would I do it again?  Yes.

C.

That's a co-incidence, it hasn't improved my handbrake efficiency either lol

Can recommend replacing the lever, linkages and pins that connect the handbrake cable to the rear wheel cylinders, and welding up any wear caused by the lever on the backplate. I did this just before my Herald’s last MOT; the tester got one side to lock up on the handbrake test and the other wasn’t far off. It’s always been borderline beforehand…

2 hours ago, Josef said:

Can recommend replacing the lever, linkages and pins that connect the handbrake cable to the rear wheel cylinders, and welding up any wear caused by the lever on the backplate. I did this just before my Herald’s last MOT; the tester got one side to lock up on the handbrake test and the other wasn’t far off. It’s always been borderline beforehand…

My cable/linkages have all been replaced but the backplates have seen better days. I'm hoping it's just a matter of adjustment but will check for wear in the backplates when I get around to looking at it.

after you had a good look especially under the wheel cyl to show the pivot wear in the back plate 

you must always full lock up the adjusters to lock the drums firmly , then you connect the cables to a nice un tensioned fit   then de adjust to just allow the drum to run free  normally about 4 clicks   (one turn)  

and its best to have the wheels on to get abetter feel 

Pete