Gearbox leaking at bottom of bell housing on Vitesse

daverclasper

Hi. It is GB oil, rather than engine oil that is leakinf. Am I right in thinking it can only be the imput shaft seal in the bell housing, or the lower BH to GB screw, that has a copper washer?.

It's started leaking in the past year. It's a 3 rail bitza, with J Type overdrive, rebuilt by Mike Papworth, that I refitted about 7 years ago.

I understand there's a breather on these boxes, though not clear where it is. I guess it's worth checking if it's blocked before removing GB.

WARNING. Mines been leaking for past year and only shows as a patch on the floor of about one and a half inches after driving, and doesn't appear to spread after driving, once the oil has cooled down.  THOUGH IT TOOK AT LEAST HALF A LITRE  TO TOP UP, and was full before the leak. I was surprised it was this low, so maybe a good idea to check pretty regularly, if you have a leaky one.

Dave 

the breather on an 3 rail is a small hole under the selector rods in the top cover

i dont see a breather in the   J type  unlike the D type which is on the top of the main OD pump case 

if the level has been dropping i would go for the lower hsb bolt is leaking 

do you know if the input shaft on youres is a scroll or a actual oil seal 

the faf is its got to come off to find and fix 

Pete