Accelerator Pedal

Neil Clark

The more we dig into these old cars.  The PO's restorer of my Mk1 Spitfire had fitted a Weber carb and an absolute dogs dinner of an accelerator linkage modification, which jammed easily and may have been the reason the car and the tree met each other.  I've now got a much better cable linkage running to the Weber and fitted what I think is a Mk3 or 4 accelerator pedal to connect it, the Mk1 pedal assembly not being suitable .  So far so good.  But the footpad on the new pedal is now closer to the brake pedal and clearance is very tight between accelerator pedal and brake pedal.  I think if I can introduce a slight "S" bend in the pedal to move the footpad to the right an inch it will be OK for driving.  Is the metal likely to be fairly easy to bend with heat applied carefully?  I don't really want o change the mounting holes etc on the bulkhead.

20 years ago I converted my daughters Mk2 Spit to a MkIV pedal & cable, hated the rod and lever system and all that weight offended me! I didn't have to modify the wiper bracket, a hole in the clear area of the horiz bulkhead area was found and I have size 11.5 feet! I'll be down her way today so will try to remember to take a photo of the pedals mounting and cable hole thro the bulkhead.