Spit Mk3 Door Gaps

Mark B

Hi all

Replacing the sills, rear wings etc. on the Spitfire. What is the consensus on door to rear wing gap? Original gaps were pretty tight, less than a 1/4 inch, and tighter at the bottom rear curve following the sill. Car still has all it's original panels, along with lots of rust,  so things have clearly moved since it left the factory.

Thanks

I have been welding sills etc for a friend who is no longer allowed to weld. He is very good at getting alignment done with panels. 4 visits for the sills/lower a post inside, floor edge and lower wing repair/outer arch etc. He also skinned the door...

You need a way of adjusting the door gap, and best to use the door to get everything correct. The sill needed slitting and widening by about 10mm at the back. 

9 hours ago, clive said:

The sill needed slitting and widening by about 10mm at the back. 

I had to do similar on the 13/60, It now looks "good". But is definitely not "factory". I suspect. even though I took lots of reference data on measurements some of the replacment panels went back slightly out, and a cumulative effect shows the error. Easier to correct on the Cill than try manipulating the Tub and door dimensions at this late stage?. I believe I now have the door/rear wing and bonnet gaps looking something like even and the quarterlight frames are as even as they will go. but still look "low" when seen against the Screen top?, despite being at the max height possible.

Pete

I think the original gap was 3/16 at the B-post? 

I'm having my usual fun with a Herald bonnet that sits too close at the bottom and too far out at the top, so the logical thing is to lift the front and thereby curve it upwards so that the top narrows and the bottom loosens, but it never works that way. Adjust one bit and it affects another.