Mk3 Spitfire hardtop rear glass fit

Canley Classics suggested that I cut a front screen rubber to solve the issue of the no longer available hardtop rear screen rubber seal, hence I’ve bought one.

I’ve offered the screen to the aperture and its a lousy fit. Is this normal?

The corner radiuses don’t match the car. The top has an approx 5mm gap (which seems ok), the bottom has an approx 15mm gap and is about 10mm proud. Sadly, the glass has a lot of scratches which I’m not optimistic will rub out.

Any suggestions? Am I likely to find another rear screen? Could I get one made, glass or perspex without needing a mortgage? 

Here’s a few pictures to illustrate the issues.

A2368121-B4A1-4D38-8338-0D449DF6A756.jpeg

0FDFBA9F-7A5B-4593-8A30-9A7CC7751074.jpeg

391F30E1-163A-4B6B-8A8A-9241985C8E2D.jpeg

CCBE754B-EBA5-4D19-8681-51FA05DE8203.jpeg

25FE82EA-20A0-4798-AA1E-923ECAB9CF81.jpeg

29 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Is it any better the other way up?

My gut feeling: I'd say that's the wrong glass. Are you sure it's the one you took out of the top?

No, it’s the right way but it just doesn’t fit.
A pal bought/collected the hardtop on my behalf and also took it to the body shop for refurb so I’ve only seen it looking like new. He told me that the glass was lying next to the top, implying that it was removed from it. I’m agree with your thoughts, it can’t be the right one.

I need to find a needle in a haystack.

I seem to recall from the dim distant past that Bill from Rarebits tried making the rear seals but found that there was actually 2 screens which is why he stopped making them (my memory could however be playing tricks).

• 3 weeks later...

I have just fitted a rear screen on my mk1 after trying a Gt6 screen seal, I ended up using a herald front screen seal which did the trick. Looks to me as the others have said that it is the wrong glass as those gaps are too big