(Early) Spitfire Mk3 Wiper Motor

67Spit

Dear All,

After struggling with truly awful wipers for years (the sweep is incorrect) I've discovered the reason is my Mk3 Spitfire has a Herald/Vitesse Lucas DR3A wiper motor - 75446D.

It should be 75528D.

So, rather than search for a complete wiper motor I presume I can change the gear? Anyone know the correct gearing for my car? I believe it should be 140 degrees, but would like it confirmed if possible. My Mk3 has the early wiper arrangement, located between the washer jets.

Thanks!

Alex

PS If anyone has a spare correct gear or a complete motor, please let me know.🙂

Thanks Pete,

I need to know the correct degree before I do anything, this one is only available up to 130 degrees and I believe but can’t yet confirm mine should be 140 degrees. There’s so little info available.

I’m not sure there are any dr3a parts available, most seem to be for the later Mk4/GT6 two-speed motor.

Thanks,

Alex

I've dealt with this guy before:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325076060437?hash=item4bb00b0915:g:qUsAAOSw5uFiHOP7

Steve Hunt, sells a lot on eBay. Usually has gears for sale.

This guy (Anthony Roach) also refurbishes wiper motors, did an amazing job on my MK1 GT6 two-speed motor:

https://classicrecons.wordpress.com

Thanks Colin,

I’ve messaged Steve before and that’s why I believe it’s a 140 degree gearing, he said “I don’t have any 140 degree gears left” and removed the listing. I’ve messaged him again to clarify and confirm the gearing I need. Once I know I can hopefully find one. I’ll message Anthony too, although I don’t think he has spares.

It’s all a bit frustrating as the Herald motor I have works perfectly, it’s just the sweep (or lack of!) that’s the problem.

Alex

44 minutes ago, 67Spit said:

it’s just the sweep (or lack of!) that’s the problem

Just to check... have you confirmed that it's actually the wrong gear, and not one of the usual causes of lack of sweep? How much play is there in the wiper positions when parked? Does the sweep increase when it's raining properly and reduce when dry? Is the operating tube properly anchored, or can you see it moving if you stick your head under the dash?

Good points, thanks. It's the same now as it always has been, before and after restoration. A couple of knowledgeable and trusted mechanics have had a fettle and couldn't improve matters, however I'll have another look at it with your recommendations in mind.

Thanks,

Alex

I picked up a reconditioned wiper motor from Wins International 01342 327018. The owner (I can't remember his name, great chap) asked what car it was for and fitted the correct gear while I waited. So Wins not only know what type of gear you need he should be able to supply it too.

Adrian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

I picked up a reconditioned wiper motor from Wins International 01342 327018. The owner (I can't remember his name, great chap) asked what car it was for and fitted the correct gear while I waited. So Wins not only know what type of gear you need he should be able to supply it too.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, will give him a call.

Alex

15 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

Adrian

Don't suppose you know what the gearing was?

That's quite an arc (compared to the Herald) but then maybe the Spitfire passengers want to see where they're going, too? :)

BTW Alex, have you checked the wheelboxes? Some advertised for the Triumph range have too many teeth so the wipers don't move as far as they should.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's quite an arc (compared to the Herald) but then maybe the Spitfire passengers want to see where they're going, too? :)

BTW Alex, have you checked the wheelboxes? Some advertised for the Triumph range have too many teeth so the wipers don't move as far as they should.

Thanks Colin,

Currently the passenger wiper only reaches vertically to the top and bottom of the screen, so a 150 degree gearing seems better? 
The wheel boxes were new around 12 years ago, and the sweep was the same with the old knackered ones.

Looks like 150 degrees is correct. I’ll be able to check tonight, but judging by your photo mine is probably 120 degrees. 

Next question - wonder if a 150 gearing from a 1963 Morris Minor Lucas DR3a will be ok? I should imagine so, but……. 

Thanks again,

Alex

• 1 month later...

Quick update.....

So, I source a 150 degree gearing, but decide to wait until winter to fit it, then along comes a Mk3 Spitfire wiper motor, so I snap that up thinking I could restore that and 'move on' the Herald motor and new gearing when it's done. Until I open it up to find the gearing is...... 140 degrees.

🤔

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

s v c and others sell a variety of gears even adjustable ones 

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/categories/stafford-vehicle-components-washer-wiper-systems-wiper-system-component

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I think they are for the later wiper motors.

I’m happy with what I now have, may fit the 150 in the Herald one, and try the 140 one to decide which is best.

The joys of ‘old stuff’!

Alex