Spitfire 1500 Exhaust

cliff.b

My Spit has a non standard exhaust that I am not happy with and considering options to replace.

Trying to confirm if the downpipe from the manifold is standard as it doesn't seem to sit quite right and is 2" diameter pipe. Can anyone confirm if I am right in thinking this is larger than original?

54 minutes ago, NonMember said:

That sounds larger than normal - more GT6 than Spitfire. I can't give you any useful measurements from mine, though, as it has a 4-2-1.

Ok, thanks 👍 Just trying to work out if I can reuse it or, if not standard, should I replace it.

A 1500 would have twin downpipes from the twin outlet cast iron manifold. If a single pipe, you may well have 1300 type exhaust manifold (no terrible thing, as they don't keep blowing manifold to dowpipe gaskets, the twin ones are bad for that)

2" sounds like later GT6 sized, but that flange would not fit a 4 cylinder manifold. So it must be a made up one.

21 minutes ago, clive said:

A 1500 would have twin downpipes from the twin outlet cast iron manifold. If a single pipe, you may well have 1300 type exhaust manifold (no terrible thing, as they don't keep blowing manifold to dowpipe gaskets, the twin ones are bad for that)

2" sounds like later GT6 sized, but that flange would not fit a 4 cylinder manifold. So it must be a made up one.

Yes, it's twin downpipes and the outlet, after they have combined, is about 2" dia. I have just remade the manifold joint and then fitted the bracket to the gearbox, which was missing, but the outlet from the downpipe is angled slightly downwards and to the offside. This makes the (non standard) intermediate pipe rather low but I don't see how I can change it without putting a strain on the manifold joint. 

So wondering, is this because the downpipe is also non standard and if so, would the correct one be a better fit?

27 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Yes, it's twin downpipes and the outlet, after they have combined, is about 2" dia. I have just remade the manifold joint and then fitted the bracket to the gearbox, which was missing, but the outlet from the downpipe is angled slightly downwards and to the offside. This makes the (non standard) intermediate pipe rather low but I don't see how I can change it without putting a strain on the manifold joint. 

So wondering, is this because the downpipe is also non standard and if so, would the correct one be a better fit?

sounds like it has been adapted for a sports system? If it fits I would keep it, otherwise teh pipe will be smaller and may not fit the rest of your system. The plot is thickening!

10 minutes ago, clive said:

sounds like it has been adapted for a sports system? If it fits I would keep it, otherwise teh pipe will be smaller and may not fit the rest of your system. The plot is thickening!

The issue is actually the other way around. I am considering replacing the rest of the system but trying to work out if I need a new downpipe as well.

The current silencer has the inlet in the middle, so the intermediate pipe has to run directly under the diff and is very low. Consequently, it has suffered a fair amount of damage, although doesn't appear to be pierced.

The silencer us also very loud and on removing it, I can see it has been cut open and welded so I presume the internals have been "adjusted".

Great fun for a quick blast but gets a bit wearing after a while.

IMG_20210421_150307_852.thumb.jpg.daf65d40a3c72fe9a4fb3f406e87a358.jpgIMG_20210421_150413_743.thumb.jpg.62a2371938bfc23f065a74addbbcfd10.jpg