New dash

jagnut66

Hi, 

I have finally got round to installing my new Burr Elm dashboard, I am pleased to say it wasn't the pain to remove / replace that I was concerned it might be. Though I did take pictures of where the wiring connects behind the speedo to try and ensure I got that right when reinstalling it. I have kept these for future reference, in case I decide for fork out for a new loom and rewire her at some point.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the switches just pushed back behind the dash easily and I simply had to feed them back through and screw their respective bezels back in place. On the down side I did succeed in loosing a couple of the nuts for the top machine screws, the lower ones were all standard screws, although I'm not convinced that the machine screw beside the glove box had one to start with, as all I found was a washer and I only heard a single clunk. Plus that side seemed to screw back tightly anyway. The drivers side one I found and with the speedo out was easy to refit. However the machine screw at the top centre of the dash lost its nut and it's not a tight fit either. Though I can't see how I'd get my hand up behind there to fit one anyway and I tried whilst the speedo was out, so that is pretty much just for show now.

The only control knob that wouldn't push back through was the choke, which I pulled straight through and took out with the old dash anyway, as it needed replacing.

The old cable was kinked, stiff and sounded like it was grinding ever time I operated it, plus it was only just long enough for the SU set up I now have in place, so is now in the bin.

However, unless someone can point me to a source, I couldn't find a label for the new knob, which is fixed in place and doesn't remove like the old one, so I couldn't just swap them over. I have managed to 'extract' the choke label from the old knob, 'after a fashion', but if there is a source of new ones available I would be interested to know.

On the up side, I now have a smooth choke operation.

The only thing I have lost is the small white lettering under the little switch to the right of the steering wheel, which read 'Heater Fan', a shame but, as there's nothing I can do about it anyway.....

Please excuse the fingerprint smudges on the dash in the pictures below, they have since been wiped off. I am glad I chose the Burr Elm, as I really like it now it's in place, I don't know why I haven't installed it sooner.....

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald new Burr Elm dash 1.JPG

Triumph Herald new Burr Elm dash 2.JPG

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Choke knobs available from Chic Doig

Thanks Colin, it's the choke label insert that I'm after though, rather than a replacement knob, as the knob on the replacement cable is moulded in place.

Best wishes,

Mike.

2 hours ago, mishmosh said:

Must be that time of year.

Very nice too, Burr Walnut?

How did you get that centre top screw reattached / screwed back in? The one directly below the courtesy light.

Or were you lucky enough not to have your nuts fall off and disappear?

Best wishes,

Mike.

13 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Very nice too, Burr Walnut?

How did you get that centre top screw reattached / screwed back in? The one directly below the courtesy light.

Or were you lucky enough not to have your nuts fall off and disappear?

Best wishes,

Mike.

It’s tricky but possible with care. Blue tak on your finger. But on blue tak. Through the speedo hole. Burr walnut  . Dash from GED in Crewe.  Great work. 

On 29/05/2022 at 21:32, mishmosh said:

It’s tricky but possible with care.

Taking inspiration from the fact you succeeded, plus the fact that the nut had reappeared, on the passenger side mat, I gave the matter further thought.

Deciding that I didn't want to remove the speedo again, so soon after reinstalling it, I looked at it from the passenger side.

I reached in behind but to one side of my radio, keeping my arm against the bulkhead I managed to get it up behind the ashtray and feeling with just my fingers first time round I found the end of the screw.

Having been able to grip the screws thread the first time, I then went back in the same way with the nut and washer and managed to wind it back onto the thread, then hold it in place, whilst I screwed it up tight with the screwdriver in my other hand.

Not totally easy but allot simpler than I expected and I (surprisingly) found access to it straight away, which I didn't going at it through the speedo hole a couple of times the other day.

I've also found a nut that fits the machine screw by the side of the glovebox, so that's done, for now.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Route of my arm behind the Herald's dash.jpg

You can’t get new choke knob labels / fittings. But the new chokes are supplied with a moulded knob that has space for the removable type of label and cover. If you look at the knobs some have what looks like two metal tabs holding the ‘glass’ in. You need one of these sort. Then you can put a fine blade between the ‘glass’ and clip and lever both out. Swap the label for your choke one and it all should pop into the new knob. You can see the type I’m talking about in mishmosh’s dash photos on the heater control and headlight switch. 

11 hours ago, Josef said:

You can’t get new choke knob labels

I managed to 'extract' the plastic lens and choke label from my original knob, it involved at bit of 'butchery' but as I didn't need it anymore and they are still available for sale (see above post by Colin) I didn't feel too guilty. 

I retouched any damaged to the label with some modelling paint I had to hand and, having allowed it to dry for 24 hours, I stuck it in place in the new knob. Not brilliant but it will do for now. I will look out for one of the knobs with the tabs that you mention above.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 09:54, Josef said:

If you look at the knobs some have what looks like two metal tabs holding the ‘glass’ in. You need one of these sort. Then you can put a fine blade between the ‘glass’ and clip and lever both out.

On 29/05/2022 at 15:48, Colin Lindsay said:

Choke knobs available from Chic Doig

I bought one of the replacement knobs from Chic Doig and it arrived today. I am pleased to say that the lens, label and clip came out easily.

However, before I fit them into the knob on my Herald, there was one small detail that needed to be 'restored'.

On the original choke labels there is a black dot in the centre, this is missing from labels on replacement knobs. Silly, I dare say. But I wanted it to look like the one I needed to replace.

Time to dust off my old modelling brushes and paints. 

The pictures below probably explain better what I'm on about.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald choke knob label -- before.JPG

Triumph Herald choke knob label -- after.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

On the original choke labels there is a black dot in the centre, this is missing from labels on replacement knobs. Silly, I dare say. But I wanted it to look like the one I needed to replace.

I spotted it straightaway... but didn't like to say, just in case... :)

...but there are different types of knob and so different symbols; I've checked three and two have no centre dot, but have a chamfered end to the knob, whilst the one that has the dot has a square end (the heavier black version to the right).

IMG_2871.thumb.jpeg.88461fe50df6636d36ea562d626dec2b.jpeg

IMG_2872.thumb.jpeg.b24b23727b9ae0f9630540e7d068786c.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I spotted it straightaway

No pun intended, eh Colin......😉

Interesting. Judging by the condition of the Bakelite they are all quite old. I guess there must have been variations.

Or they just used whatever was in the BMC / BL parts bin on that day....... 😉

Best wishes,

Mike.

12 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

No pun intended, eh Colin......😉

Got to pretend I'm still on the ball...

Interesting to note, too, that the heavier knob is the only one where the logo is not clipped in, so presumably not removable. The other two are very early 1960s.