Dynamo

Chris A

1 hour ago, johny said:

And the free to download workshop manual says screw a 5/8" tap into it👍

Actually, that is absolutely correct for Lucas Dynamos. There are a few other makes that have a plate at the end that you drive out and it brings the bush out. There were replacements using needle rollers too,

Going back to the main topic, the 1970(ish) Brown Haynes manual for the Vitesse and GT6 has an excellent procedure for adjusting the RB340 Voltage Regulator. Even shows the tool for the job. It takes account of ambient temperature variations too. I used it in 1973 on my Vitesse 6 with an AVO 8 meter.

Would be easier now with more accurate stuff and current clamp.

I usually test Dynamos as a motor. Connect both terminals together and take that join to the +ve of a battery and connect the case to -ve. If it provides power without jumping, it usually works well as a dynamo.

Reverse the polarity for +ve earth models though.

13 hours ago, Chris A said:

Can you put up the details, please?

I don't mind paying 14€40 for a bush rather than the 125 that one French supplier is asking for a new dynamo (GXE3101), but if it can't be fitted no point. although having said that when I was at my friendly garage up the road yesterday I did notice a very new looking press in the corner . . .

Canleys have them, part number 509304, £1.95 each.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Canleys have them, part number 509304, £1.95 each.

Yes I know but as you know postage can be an issue plus there could no doubt be 'customs clearance' charges. fpr instance RB where the bit is 3€49 the all in price delivered comes to 29€34.

I need to look at a schematic for the dynamo (or a generic one) as, to be honest, I'm not clear that the worn bush is the cause of the dynamo not working, is the bush part of the circuit? No point in replacing the bush if it still won't work

Research later today . . .

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

I need to look at a schematic for the dynamo (or a generic one) as, to be honest, I'm not clear that the worn bush is the cause of the dynamo not working, is the bush part of the circuit? No point in replacing the bush if it still won't work

Research later today . . .

The bush its not part of the circuit. If the armature is not scraping the field cores, it is still useable. Assemble and test as a motor as one of my previous posts above. I can give more details on testing as a generator, but that means fitting it to the car.

Lloyd.

Looking at your pictures the armature may be scraping the magnet cores, unless that is grease deposit. Clean it all off, separate the commutator segments with a broken fine hacksaw blade, assemble and try again. Somebody should be able to make a bush for you but it should be bronze.

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

The bush its not part of the circuit. If the armature is not scraping the field cores, it is still useable. Assemble and test as a motor as one of my previous posts above. I can give more details on testing as a generator, but that means fitting it to the car.

Lloyd.

Did my research and it did confirm what I thought, and what you say, the bush isn't any part of the circuit. I didn't think yesterday to test it as a motor, I did do that a few years ago with the old unit when I replaced the brushes. I did bench test the dynamo yesterday, a drill provides the mechanical input.

I did wonder if there was enough movement in the rotor to allow it to touch the cores, the photo I took before it was cleaned up seems to confirm this

SAM_1815.thumb.JPG.ff22ea2973d33a5477b153549e751a4e.JPG

I will give the dynamo the motor test to see what happens. No panic to sort it as the original dynamo now fitted seems good (oops, that's blown it) but I wouldn't mind having a standby if the faulty one can be repaired at a reasonable price.

8 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Looking at your pictures the armature may be scraping the magnet cores,

That seems to a shared view. The 'stuff' between the segments seemed to be very solid so I thought it might be a resin put in to stop particles getting in between the segments. The gaps between the segments where the brushes touch are clean.

11 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Somebody should be able to make a bush for you but it should be bronze.

That would be no cheaper I guess than a locally bought genuine article. Bronze then, not a bit of left over copper plumping pipe 😁

Lunch time (13h00)

19 minutes ago, johny said:

Not just bronze but the manual says porous bronze so it should be soaked in oil for 24h before installation and not then reamed as this will close the pores....

And it has to be fitted during a month with an 'R' in it one a night with a full moon . . .😁

I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth the hassle, the cost is still reasonable even if I have to buy a metric equivalent of a 5/8" tap, maybe my friendly garage man has one? He only took over the business in May and he will soon learn to but the 'Fermeture Exceptionnelle' sign up when he sees me coming...

28 minutes ago, johny said:

It looks pretty thin walled and being a sintered bearing should break up easily so I would have thought a thin screw driver tapped down behind it should get it out in pieces....

Now you're resorting to the violet methods, I like it!

As the bush is well worn with the looks of it there can't be much meat left in the metal so worth a try, after all nothing to lose.

Was beginning to think along the same lines, or even finding suitable bolt and carefully screwing it in until it bites then pulling the bush out.

• Like 1

I do have  a complete working 25 amp Dynamo that came off my Vitesse. I needs a clean and service, but if you ever venture into Eastbourne, Sussex UK, then I'll keep it for you. My son sends bits all over the World, so would be aware of all the export problems.

Lloyd.

Ok, so I took a big hammer to it, well alright a medium sized one, any tiny screwdriver as did as you say - the result was as you said. I did look in my stock of bolts, the biggest I had was 5/8" which didn't grip enough but would have done had the bush not been so worn - then again if it wasn't worn I wouldn't have wanted to remove it . . .

Before getting brutal I did test it out on the bench as a motor, it turned but really quite slowly. From memory when I did it before, back in 2015, I'm sure it turned very quickly. The battery I used was well charged.

It is now semi disassembled and I have added a new bush to my 'reminder' list with the supplier. I have a number of items on hold waiting for one to come into stock, delivery keeps getting put back - latest is 30th June.

So progress will be slow.

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated and even better helpful  

2 minutes ago, Wagger said:

I do have  a complete working 25 amp Dynamo that came off my Vitesse. I needs a clean and service, but if you ever venture into Eastbourne, Sussex UK, then I'll keep it for you. My son sends bits all over the World, so would be aware of all the export problems.

Lloyd.

Thanks for the kind offer. I do have a working one fitted so this one is a 'training' exercise so I have a spare to hand.

As for getting to anywhere in the UK - to be blunt No chance! Absolutely no reason to come over, Mrs. does from time to time for pleasure but my last 3 visits have all been for funerals of parents. I don't even have a passport anymore

One thing Chris is to remember to lube that bush more frequently. Not easy as it needs little but often and then should last almost indefinitely as the main load from the belt (always keep mine as loose as possible) is taken by the roller bearing.... 

It sounds like the armature segments are shorting. As a motor, it should drive a kiddies car really well, or even a lawn mower. 12V x 25A = 300Watts, nearly as powerful as an old Black and Decker drill.

Don't spend time on it if it won't perform after cleaning the commutator segments. Any cheap alternator can be made to fit, and there are loads of us who can tell you how to wire it. It even charges when ticking over with no lights on.

I don't have a passport either. Never thought I'd live long enough after illness. Not having one seems to be a guarantee staying alive and being stuck in the UK with a rubbish NHS. Can't stand the thought of queueing at an airport or channel crossing right now. No trains, expensive fuel. Thank goodness for sunny Eastbourne.

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

16mm should do it! Dunno about the thread pitch, but that won't matter. They are (strangely) very close.

Lol it was the fact that it was a tap, that needs a specific thread... so it's not something you can normally substitute! The phrasing just made me laugh.

1 hour ago, johny said:

One thing Chris is to remember to lube that bush more frequently

I was worried I was over oiling it!

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

Any cheap alternator can be made to fit,

I'm a dinosaur, so its a dynamo if at all possible. By the time the fitted one fails there might not by any choice though.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Scratching my head over that one... 😕

20 hours ago, johny said:

And the free to download workshop manual says screw a 5/8" tap into it👍

Don't blame me I was just quoting johny. I don't know the difference between a tap or a valve. Robinet ou vanne