Core Plug

Neil Clark

By strange coincidence, insurance renewal up today. £100 for the next year. Another spare car seems the best idea, so now looking for a 1982 (or older) something-or-other and will dispense wih the 2007 'Modern'.

We only do 5000 miles a year now. 25 tankful's should do it at £2,500.

Looking at my son's collection first, Stag, 2500S or a Humber Imperial. (Ex Jerermy Thorpe/ Jo Grimmond).

May be an undiscovered body in that, so will give it a miss.

"Hit it with a hammer". Using the old spark plug socket bound around with some insulation tape ensured that the new core plug stayed attached to the socket which is the "drift". It was easier to keep the whole thing square to the plug hole that way. You must avoid a lopsided fit. A drift is a length of steel bar (other materials are available) which is used to transfer the impact of a hammer to an otherwise difficult target.

Ah yes!  I was on a plane once waiting to take off and we were held up.  The sound of banging echoed around but the captain re-assured us that one of the stewards was using British Airways patented "infinitely variable pressure adjustment tool for toilet doors".  He said we'd be relieved to know that.

1 minute ago, Wagger said:

By strange coincidence, insurance renewal up today. £100 for the next year. Another spare car seems the best idea, so now looking for a 1982 (or older) something-or-other and will dispense wih the 2007 'Modern'.

We only do 5000 miles a year now. 25 tankful's should do it at £2,500.

Looking at my son's collection first, Stag, 2500S or a Humber Imperial. (Ex Jerermy Thorpe/ Jo Grimmond).

May be an undiscovered body in that, so will give it a miss.

Similar problem here.  2012 diesel doesn't do it in the new London ULEZ zone so by mid 2023 forced to sell a perfectly good car I had intended to keep for ever.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

and its not related to me  

image.thumb.png.63c4d9103eb71c7094d30c75b901e2cb.png

Back in my early days of employment I worked in a furniture factory, delivering wardrobes and beds etc round the country. One woman claimed two successive deliveries of a two-door wardrobe were damaged, and despite the fact that we could see no damage at all, they were replaced. She was referred to as the "lying ould bitch with the wardrobe"...

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2022 at 15:50, Colin Lindsay said:

However I'd still wipe the rear of the head clean then watch for tell-tales as to where it's escaping from. I'd doubt if it's from the push-rod tubes as this would run along the edge of the head where it joins the block, and off the rear lower down, but I'd first suspect the rocker cover.

It's definitely weeping.  I've been trimming the interior this month so deliberately not running the engine to see where the problem lies.  I've no garage to work in and this is almost certainly  going to need the head off so that I can work on it.

CD2204D4-FC8F-4666-B611-3F6125788EDE.jpeg