A Simple solution?

Aitch

The bonnet support on my ‘79 Spitfire 1500 is not in the best of shape so I bought a replacement pair of Gas Struts.

They duly arrived. I checked the manual (Haynes) for info, watched the videos (You Tube etc.), and read the instructions supplied before attempting a dry fit. A spare hour, with no rush or panic and both fitted without any problems until…… I went to close the bonnet and had fouling on the scuttle below the windscreen. Rechecked, not much room for re-adjustment but everything done as above. Everything as it should be according to all the info etc, so I inverted the struts with the Gas Pods at the top. Same thing, so back to their original position. No fouling as the bonnet is lowered, but same problem. Tried the different hole positions. You’ve guessed it, same problem!

In frustration, and the missus looking for the dictionary, I refitted the original bonnet support. Guess what… perfect fitment with my 1/4in panel gap at top and sides of bonnet. The gas struts make the bonnet sturdier when open, but I cannot understand if, how and where I am going wrong. Anyone got suggestions? have a look at the photos and hopefully put me out of my misery! Thanks,

P1060514.JPG

P1060515.JPG

P1060516.JPG

P1060517.JPG

P1060518.JPG

P1060519.JPG

Thanks Doug, without any struts and me holding the bonnet there does not appear to be any play horizontally (side to side) or for that matter when moved up and down in the vertical plane.

As a result, wasn't aware of any adjustment, and now looking at it (pivot points) can't seem to see how to get access to it. Bumper off, front end off?

Aitch,

Found this advice on another site

"Loosen the front hinges, adjust the rear pins and sockets to bring the bonnet rearward. Retighten the front hinges.
If that isn't enough adjustment, some slipping of the bonnet sheetmetal over the internal tubes can be achieved by loosening the various bolts that hold the sheetmetal skin to them."

And this is what's under the black covers, I don't think the bumper has to come off, I'm sure mine's never been off and I've done the adjustment. Notice the slots!

spitbonne.PNG.5342ebab1b88d30d211cb4c70f14f5da.PNG

Doug

The bonnet is not designed to be subjected to rearward forces in normal use. That's one of the known problems with the gas strut conversion - it subjects the whole wibbly wobbly assembly to forces it wasn't designed for. You're not the first person to find that results in the bonnet distorting so that the perfect fit you once had no longer applies.

dare i say its a Must Have with the associated  head ache  built in 

there are a variety of  struts  and most  have caused  grief over the years  

even cracking of the main panel at the headlamps acceleated by fitting struts 

its  a love them or hate them opinion 

Pete

I had exactly the same problem with my sixfire. The gas struts are just too powerful and they force the bonnet back to touch the scuttle regardless of how tight the adjusters are. I ended up taking one off leaving only the one on the side where the original bonnet support was. It solved the problem instantly.

I have no spider cracks at the moment, something I wasn't really aware of as a result of the gas struts. I'll try the single sided approach and see where that leads. Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Aitch

My original thread about this issue was dated May 8th this year. It is titled Spitfire Six Bonnet Fit. I still haven't found out the spec for the gas struts as fitted. Will look into that when I get back from my sojourn on the Isle of Man. I'm here until next Friday.