Timing with (Gunson) Tachostrobe

Colin

52 minutes ago, clive said:

As a comparison, think of carb needles. You can get a decent idle with any needle, but once off idle it will be wrong. 

1. I've always wondered about this, with regard to the "lifting the piston" technique at idle for mixture. My needles/jets are fairly new, though a bit of play in shafts and maybe butterfly's not seating, as when new. I understand this extra air, is more relevant at idle and not significant at more open throttle, therefore I go off plug colour for finer mixture adjustments. Is this a good way for me?

8 minutes ago, daverclasper said:
  1. I've always wondered about this, with regard to the "lifting the piston" technique at idle for mixture. My needles/jets are fairly new, though a bit of play in shafts and maybe butterfly's not seating, as when new. I understand this extra air, is more relevant at idle and not significant at more open throttle, therefore I go off plug colour for finer mixture adjustments. Is this a good way for me?

Yep, plug colour is pretty reliable, but is dependant on correct temp plugs etc etc. Nothing is easy!

BUT if the needles are correct for the engine, they should be "correct" at all rpm if set at idle.

• Like 1