Converting a saloon rear tub to convertible

Adrianb

Hi,The 13/60 convertible I’m working on “slowly “ has an extremely rotten rear tub,So I acquired a saloon tub with a view to using panels to mainly repair floor and wings and to patch the convertible! Then I acquired a convertible rear deck attached to wings with a view to just replacing the rear deck on the saloon tub and Bobs your Uncle I’ve got a convertible again But it’s not that easy I’m sure Can you experienced people please advised thank you 

It all depends on how much you want to do, or how original you want it. It can be done, after all the factory did it and I've the intention of doing it for my red 1200 convertible - eventually. Main differences are around the rear deck or the B post, and along the tops of the rear wings. I reckon I'll start by removing the convertible bits from the incredibly patched and unusable convertible tub, then compare to the saloon version before cutting anything away. The photos below may help with what to expect and where to look at cutting / drilling out welds.

IMG-2310.thumb.jpg.13a04bc1221bc1143e54301df0c01be1.jpg IMG-2313.thumb.jpg.8249fbf3fe9c248559db1f0c2b78d79c.jpg

so if i have this right you want to graft a CV rear deck to a saloon tub 

yes  its posible the top of the wing/B post is different on a saloon as there provision for a B post , 

the saloon B post /wing wont have provision for the hasp and staple in the door shut which takes a bit of aligning to get it to work ok.

the saloon wings may maynot have the hood frame cadge nuts etc fitted 

sounds interesting   ive never tried it 

Pete

When I did one I welded in bars to strengthen the saloon tub before cutting, and transfered the rear upper wings, rear deck and rear light panels from the rusty convertible tub as one piece. Before welding together check boot lid gap and distance between B posts, been many posts about distance search phrase tub spread.

Also take note of measurements for the hood well bar and hood fixings which will also need transfering.

Best of luck.

Regards.

Paul.

Many thanks everyone seems like a peice of cake then! I’ve got the added distraction I’m registered severely sight impaired so may have to clarify an answer again like where would the fest place for bracing be from too?