Squeaking sound.

RussGT6

Hi. Newbie rookie question...

I have a GT6 MkIII. There is squeak sound I think coming from front wheel area which increases with speed and which stops when the brakes are dabbed/used and returns again immediately when you continue driving. Any ideas?   

Brake pad squeal is teh obvious one. 

Check the pads have the thin metal "anti squeal shims" fitted, or better still, pop the pads out, clean the back of the pads and the shims, plus the calipers on the edges where the pads sit. Get some Mintex Ceratex grease (very specific) and smear a little on the back of the pads, the shims and the calipers where the pads sit.

Worth checking the front wheel bearings too. Jack the car up at the front, spin the wheels one at a time and feel for any roughness (unlikely) but also the "rock" of the wheel. ie hold teh top and bottom of the wheel, there should be a tiny amount of rock, a mm or 2, that you can just feel. Any more and the bearings need tightening up a little. 

17 minutes ago, johny said:

I thought brake pad squeal was characteristic on braking not on driving but I suppose the shims could help with both? 

If there is too much play in teh wheel bearings, pads can just about stay in contact. If the pistons are not retracting as they should, same thing. But some pads can squeal, clearances are very tight. 

But yes, making sure the pistons can move freely is important, and check the discs are clean, not rusty/grooved, and no lip on the edges. 

Sticking pistons in my new calipers caused exactly this issue on my Spitfire.

I removed the pads one at a time, depressed the pedal to push the pistons further out then levered them back as far as they would go, repeating this several times until they moved freely.

After this the noise stopped. Some time later I had the same problem on the other side and did the same thing, which worked again.

the std metal anti squeal shim has two end spring leafs to end load the pad against its pins it can help chatter if these are bent to add more spring loading to the edge of the pad

plastic anti squeals dont work for me , a smear od mintex Ceratek  is the best far better that the years we all  used copper bases anti seize pastes of the day 

Image result for photo of triumph brake shim