Stromberg Metering Needles

Gully

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had a definitive list of metering needles for Strombergs and their applications, please? I can't find anything official on the web and there's contradictory advice across the various car fora. I'm specifically interested in needles for the early GT6 Mk 3 - with both the standard air box and pancake filters (which I assume would need different needles to optimise).

Thanks,

Gully

According to my Haynes Stromberg CD carburettors manual (£1.95 in 1976!) the metering needle marking for all GT6 in the UK 1972-1974, running carb reference numbers 3507RH/LH and 3432RH/LH (which is 150CD-SEV and SEs respectively) is the same - B5CF. Hope this helps

Wayne 

the triumph wsm gives little detail, i dont have a triumph parts list, and even then they wont give the  zenith numbers you need

burlen give  a varierty for GT6 late ll and early lll   strangely are all shown as CDSE  dont think thats right from memory  early are CDS

not biased needle  or temp compensators.fitted

but carb sets  3335 use B5AJ     sets 3369  B5BT         set  3432    B5CF   sets 3507  B5CF

canley show B5CF used on both  before and after KE10000  

Moss Triumph Tune blurb lists 6J std and 7B WITH KN  which is to e all MK1 V /Gt6

so  the definitive anwser is    NO

if you have to fit KN then you may use OE needle but have a stronger spring or add the heavier damper weight

same as used on 1600 std .to richen up the running

see my e mail of Chris who grew the std air box to take a KN 

Pete

• Like 1

I don't know much about the "B" numbers but I do know Rimmers list 7 different needles for GT6 Strombergs! There are two for Mk1, (one no longer available) one for Mk2 and two for Mk3, early and late, I have late, KE10001 onwards. The lates also have different jets.  Additionally there are two more associated with K&Ns one for Mk1 & 2 and one for Mk3 this alone on Rimmers has the number, B5BU.

I have just rebuilt the 150 CDS on my Mk2 Vitesse with a rebuild kit and new needles from Turner Carbs in Stamford. Mr Turner provided these needles as they are to cope with fuel containing ethanol and to my mind they appear to me made of or coated with a different material to the originals. Could this be the reason for Rimmers listing two needles but one being NLA?

I have to say that initial running indicates that the carbs are working very well now and I would recommend Turner Carbs as he seems very knowledgeable and helpful and is no more expensive that Rimmers or others.

Confused picture isn't it! I'm conscious that my early Mk 3 has always run rich and in the early pictures of the restoration the previous owner completed it was running pancake filters, which had been changed to the standard air box by the time I purchased the car. I was going to check the needles fitted and wanted a reference to see if they were right or not - but I couldn't find anything definitive. No plans to change the filter arrangements.

Most sources seem to agree that the later Mk 3 needs the B5CF, but both B5AJ and B5BT are listed in various places for the early Mk 3 cars (which mine is - KE83, built Nov 70) with CDSE carbs. One source indicates that the B5BT was for the Triumph 2000 only...

Thanks all for your inputs,

Gully

Yes, early and late mk3s are different. I made the mistake of buying a carb overhaul kit from Rimmers. They only sell one for mk3s, I thought it was a universal kit however it turns out it's early mk3s only, which they don't make clear in their listing. I asked them to send me the correct jets ( which were the difference) and I would send the old ones back. They refused, they would refund me for the whole kit but not swap the jets. As I'd already started the job I had no choice and had to fork out for the correct items. Anybody want some early mk3 jets? :angry:  

Picked up the Haynes Zenith Stromberg manual cheaply off EBay and it includes the needle application charts. Turns out there were 3 different needles for the UK model Mk 3 GT6 as follows:

1970 carb ref 3369L/R needle B5AJ

1971/72 carb ref 3335L/R needle B5BT

1972/74 carb refs 3507RH/LH & 3432RH/LH needle B5CF

All with Blue springs.

Gully