Time Warp 13/60 Convertible

Gary Flinn

I brought two Girlock Plastic Master Cylinder Extension pieces off UK ebay a couple of years ago to improve safety as the amount of fluid in the existing original masters were in my mind too risky, the Vitesse larger Brake Master was compromised by being inclined at an angle.

Unfortunately, the smaller unit I purchased for the Spitfire Brake Master sits too high and the extension sits above the top of the bulkhead?

Here's a pic of the Girlock style extensions (smaller unit) it's a one piece all moulded unit with a built in threaded joiner ie no threaded steel annulus which will eventually rust

The two units weren't dear under 20 quid for both.

Girlock Small Master Cylinder Extension Piece.JPG

• Like 2

Did a bit of searching on the net and once I had the right phrase, BINGO!. Lots of, well several at any rate, hits for what look mike the original version. For some strange reason the suppliers seem to be performance/rally/racing sites. The best deal I found is a company in Spain and in stock. I think I'll take the plunge and order one, not sure if Mrs. would be happy with ' just popping down the road to Spain for a part for the car - don't wait dinner, or breakfast tomorrow, or lunch . . .'

Just gone to their site to order and it now says out of stock!

Edited by Chris A

3 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Chris for interest here's the pic of both the Vitesse Brake & Clutch  Girlock Master Cylinder extensions fitted, note both are a single molded item no steel screw down.

I note as an aftermarket item the steel screwdown can be purchased in turned Aluminum

Vitesse Girlock Master Cylinder Extension Reservoirs.JPG

That looks a very neat solution, the "girling" offering is quite sruffy by comparison.👍

Pete

I too have the smaller clutch style cylinders as brake cylinders on both my cars. I did get one of those extensions a few years back, and removed it as it tended to leak… The extra fluid is only to compensate for wear to the pads though right? 

The plastic reservoir enables a quick check every time you open the bonnet,

I ran out of brakes eons, eons ago scared the hell out of me & the extra volumn gives me that warm feeling that I might notice I have a problem before I actually have a moment!!

Personnel choice, hey the Girlock ones were cheap of good quality and don't leak with the threads being integral with the body, added benefit the metal cap is easier to undo and do up on the plastic reservoir rather than the metal to metal.