Time Warp 13/60 Convertible

Gary Flinn

Very very nice, but it would need a test drive to see if it handles as well as it looks. Definitely worth a good price, here maybe some could say it's overpriced, it's only a Herald, but others will snap it up as worth it for looks and minimum work- but then there's always that moment when the new owner attends his first Club meet or show and announces what he paid. Everyone looks at their feet and tries to appear positive... :) It's not perfect but you could do a lot worse and some say a perfect car is no fun. I like it for the colour... but too many bills at present.

• Like 1

Colin

From the write up it was restored in the early 1990's in Hertfordshire with several N.O.S. Stanpart Panels?

Not a really late one, as no steering lock fitted, presumably Laurel Green with a Matador red interior which is a great combination 

I wonder if there is a similar One owner late Vitesse Mk2 Convertible tucked up in a garage somewhere, I for one would love to find it if there is🤨

Regards 

you only know the true condition when you actually see it , i sold a very nice looking vitesse 1600 for £4000 a while back it was a peace of sh.t chassis wise like a patchwork quilt ,  then turned up a few months latter for sale by a well known classic dealer describing it as a gem one of the best for £16000 took him 2 years but he sold it , pity the new owner .

In the description of the Vitesse it says the fuel gauge doesn't work and that it is the sender. Why hasn't it been fixed? For that price it should be, I know if I was buying it I would insist the gauge was sorted. Driver's seat looks either ripped or worn, or maybe just shadow in the photo.

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

The master cylinders on my 13/60 are the other way round with the clutch one having the additional reservoir?.

Steve

Clutch doesn't need it; it was for the brakes when they were converted to disc from drum, and the reservoir required more fluid due to the bigger quantity required for the piston movement.

31 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Clutch doesn't need it; it was for the brakes when they were converted to disc from drum, and the reservoir required more fluid due to the bigger quantity required for the piston movement.

Intrestingly enough my 13/60 has just the basic reservoirs for both clutch & brakes. Should I be worried? I have to say that so far I haven't had any problems due to not having the extension on the brake reservoir. That's jinxed it for the next run I go on 😱

Are they both the same size? Just keep an eye on the level but if it hasn't dropped worryingly by now it never will. As the pads wear the level will get lower, so watch the level and top up before it gets to the outlet area. I fitted the bigger modern version to the 13/60 so I can see the level, but should have plenty to spare. (So much in fact that it spilled onto the fresh paintwork and ate it to primer.... :(  )

IMG_4046.jpg.395337ac16240b17400ee462d03cc241.jpg

20 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Vitesse could have wrong seats fitted, difficult to tell.

Regards

Paul

Seats are stated as leather faced, certainly looks like the later 13/60 / Vitesse pattern. Not the worst car, to be honest not a bad price, but I wish they'd fix the reversing light. 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Well  I`ve just fitted a refurbed Vitesse brake master, along with 4 pot calipers so i will see how that performs. Clutch one can stay.

Few things i would change on that Vitesse..Wire wheels, wheelbarrow exhaust and those crappy pancake filters. Nice car though.

S

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Seats are stated as leather faced, certainly looks like the later 13/60 / Vitesse pattern.

They do look a bit 13/60ish but I'm not totally convinced.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

but I wish they'd fix the reversing light. 

you mean the light unit that isn't level fitted on the rear number plate light housing? I wonder if it is really a number plate light not reversing light? Either way needs sorting.

Beginning to wonder what other delights are dotted around the car . . .

Just had a look at the time warp 13/60, the seats do look like those in the Vitesse. I don't know what mine look like as I can't see the driver's one when I'm in the car and I am too busy looking at the traffic to look at the passenger one. does that mass muster for an excuse reason,

Colin: I also looked at the 13/60 brake master cylinder extension, it looks as if it is just pushed into the basic unit then the cap put on top, is this correct please. I've just located a NOS one 'up the road a bit' in Germany it is just the plastic bit, no cap, washer or anything.

11 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I also looked at the 13/60 brake master cylinder extension, it looks as if it is just pushed into the basic unit then the cap put on top

Something like that. There's normally a part-cap (just the outer ring bit, like a fancy jar whose name refuses to come out of hiding in the back of what passes for my brain) securing the plastic extension to the cast reservoir where it's pushed in.

20 minutes ago, NonMember said:

(just the outer ring bit, like a fancy jar whose name refuses to come out of hiding in the back of what passes for my brain) 

Kilner jar? They had a removable glass part in the lid. A cap like that is what I would have expected too

• Thanks 1

Used on Hillman Imps as well, apparently; my Herald estate has one. The plastic extension goes through the ring cap; there are two square-profile seals, one for between plastic extension and cylinder, and one for between plastic extension and cap. Two different sizes. Small seal, plastic extension, larger seal, metal cap screws all to cylinder then plastic cap goes on top.

DSCF9169.jpg.3b2ae88cfbae7dc73e3ed60207e2070c.jpg  IMG_4422.jpg.6e6f8ba20458efdaba0435c087b8b883.jpg

Thanks Colin, that makes it all very clear & logical. I have found a part number for what I think is the ring cap, 146417, as for the other washers. . .

When I have the time and inclination, difficult to get the 2 at the same time 😁, I'll continue the quest

It looks like same Vit for sale on U tube recently?. The dealer does a close Video all around the car and points some obvious points of rust/corrosion, as well as lifting the carpets to show some corrosion. He even says it probably/ideally needs a new pan. Seems honest description?.

I would be more worried about the body issues, than a sender, reversing light issues at "that price". Not in anyway saying it's necessarily a rip off (wouldn't know, really)

The Herald looks like it's got the original correct seats fitted to me, they are very similar to the 2 Litre Vitesse seats but the Vitesse as wider bolsters to the sides of the bases.

The Damson Vitesse Mk2 looks a nice enough example, looks to me though like the seats have probably been re-foamed with not quite the correct shape to the base foams.

Gary