European Breakdown Cover

MJH2454

When researching European Breakdown Cover I discover the AA ad RAC put a limit on repatriation costs not to exceed the market value of the car, however they are unable to advise me in advance of what market value they will put on my Spitfire even though I have a TSSC valuation of £8000.

It would appear that you have to take out the cover and then in the event of a repatriation claim they will then advise wether or not the market value of the car is high enough to cover the repatriation costs, sounds like a big gamble to me!!!

What do other people do when taking there cherished classic abroad?

Use the included cover with many policies. Just done the 10CR, a couple of breakdowns needed recovery home, Italy (stelvio) and that area. No issues with the recovery happen, though it can be a slightly frustrating process. Seems to be luck of the draw on that.

The limit for Peter James is £3k, but as they use a multi car transporter and it takes a few weeks, it seems to keep costs down. 

I know of one person who took matters into their own hands and hired a car etc etc and later realised they had spent claimed too much. In that case the breakdown people paid them expenses to go and fetch the car themselves .  BUT that was because the chap made unilateral decisions. If he had gone through the process correctly that would not have happened.

• Like 1

In 2006, RAC (Comercial) where prepared to low load my 9t+ R-V from North of Madrid (Burgos) to the UK. No question over it`s value?. In the event we staggered to Bilbao and our ferry on 7 Cylinders, and where recovered from Portsmouth.

Pete