Oil Light Not Working

Pettifordo

The oil light on my car isn’t working.

I have removed the wire from the sensor and had a test light connected with ignition on and nothing there (assume it should be live).

Any good ideas how to trace back what is wrong (I’ve had all the dash out as part of the rebuild but didn’t remove the wiring loom. Ignition light works and I’ve check the small fuse box with the 3 fuses in.

Did your car have dual braking @Pettifordo? Think it would have for a 1980. The oil and PDWA lights are linked, I believe. If you’ve gone single system (as looks like it) without a PDWA then the circuit isn’t complete. 
Check the wiring plan to be sure. May need to copy what the Haynes manual says for a single line brake Spit from about 1977

37 minutes ago, AlanT said:

The oil and PDWA lights are linked, I believe. If you’ve gone single system (as looks like it) without a PDWA then the circuit isn’t complete. 

Only "incomplete" in the sense that it doesn't have a PDWA to signal brake failure. The bulbs are in series and will both illuminate when the oil pressure warning is on, as was the original behaviour.

If @Pettifordodoesn't want the brake warning light then it can simply be bypassed (connect the two wires together) to get the single circuit brakes condition.