Steaming when stopping

gt6j

Just to embellish the above:

The definitive soloution is to machine, drill and tap such that a BSP-parallel hose tail can be inserted. I think that's 1/2 inch BSP but would have to check. The earlier variations of this manifold (e.g. Vitesse) did indeed have such an arrangement but GT6 Mk3s got the cast-in pipe. Once done it'll last forever. However not a very easy thing to do on a DIY basis.

If considering replacement then one has to make sure that it's exactly the right unit - not a superficially similar looking from another six pot.  But one also bumps up against the issue at the other end of the manifold where the BSP/banjo union is typically seized solid and only destructive removal is possible. The threads may survive to be cleaned up with a tap, or may not.

Looking at the photos it does look a  bit like the inlet pipe is on it's last legs and attention sooner rather than later woul be good.

14 hours ago, gt6j said:

Still going through the cooling system among other bits, had the manifold off today but saw this corrosion on the manifold water inlet. Guessing this is fairly common? is there any tip to repair this rather than replace the manifold. It isn't leaking but corroding as per pic 

Just thought, whats the return pipe under the manifold like as if it hasnt been replaced I would imagine its suffered as well....

5 hours ago, dannyb said:

You could cut off the pipe flush then drill and tap to add hose connector. I've seen this done.

I managed to fit one of these connectors to each end of my Spitfire 1500 manifold. I had to buy the appropriate drill and tap, 3/8" BSP I think.  It was still rather tricky clamping the manifold whilst attempting to drill the hole straight and true.  Fortunately I had a copper T in my spares which I then connected to the outlet with a short length of rubber tube to a accommodate the heater and return tube.  No problems as yet and I am more confident than I was with the severely corroded original pipe work.

21 minutes ago, johny said:

Just thought, whats the return pipe under the manifold like as if it hasnt been replaced I would imagine its suffered as well....

Yes, even worse than the manifold and has been replaced by a stainless item.

This is a great help thanks for suggestions and advice. Not going to get back with the car til next week but will report back. Not leaking currently. Only went to change the manifold gasket! 😬