Setting ignition timing

daverclasper

Hi. I have a dizzy with the Vernier adjustment gauge. At the moment the timing is set up pretty accurate I think, though is on it's maximum retard adjustment on the Vernier adjustment wheel.

Thinking it would be an idea to have the the timing set correct, with the Vernier wheel in about the middle of its range, so allowing any further, easier, finer adjustment.

So thinking, if I set up a bulb to do it statically and when the points open for any cylinder (whether on compression or exhaust stroke) and bulb lights, then advance on the Vernier to half way of the range, then retard, by moving the body of the dizzy until bulb lights.

Would this then give me pretty much my original timing setting.

Hope this makes sense?.

Dave     ,

12 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Hi. I have a dizzy with the Vernier adjustment gauge. At the moment the timing is set up pretty accurate I think, though is on it's maximum retard adjustment on the Vernier adjustment wheel.

Thinking it would be an idea to have the the timing set correct, with the Vernier wheel in about the middle of its range, so allowing any further, easier, finer adjustment.

So thinking, if I set up a bulb to do it statically and when the points open for any cylinder (whether on compression or exhaust stroke) and bulb lights, then advance on the Vernier to half way of the range, then retard, by moving the body of the dizzy until bulb lights.

Would this then give me pretty much my original timing setting.

Hope this makes sense?.

Dave     ,

You could always do it with the engine running; turn the distributor slightly, then adjust the vernier wheel to get back to the original setting, and repeat until the wheel is where you want it.

Thanks Guys. on my, To Do, list. I think I over maintain sometimes, as have given a heathy squirt of oil down the shaft every year or so and had a points problem fairly recently. Area around the the plate top plate and points was a bit oily.

It seemed a bit baked on, on the contacts. Cleaned and gave the contacts a file. It cured a gradual, though getting worse (until it wouldn't start) starting problem.

Can these be over oiled, or does it drain out somewhere?.

Dave